|Born||18 August 1893|
|Died||28 January 1943(aged 49)|
|Place of birth||Breslau|
|Place of death||Voronezh|
German Empire (to 1918)|
|Years of service||
|Commands held||Grenadier-Regiment 199|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
|Other work||Military Advisor in Afghanistan|
Josef Schmidt (18 August 1893 – 28 January 1943) was a highly decorated Generalmajor in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Josef Schmidt was killed on 28 January 1943 in Voronezh, Russia. He was posthumously awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 31 January 1943 and was also promoted to Generalmajor.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Wound Badge (1914)
- Knight's Cross of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern with Swords
- Cross of Honor
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (4 October 1939)
- 1st Class (7 June 1940)
- Infantry Assault Badge (3 December 1941)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Silver
- in Gold (25 February 1942)
- Honour Roll Clasp of the Army (1 March 1942)
- German Cross in Gold (26 December 1941)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 31 January 1943 as Oberst and commander of Grenadier-Regiment 199
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 310.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.