Khasavyurt Accord (Russian: Хасавюртовские соглашения) was an agreement that marked the end of the First Chechen War, signed in Khasavyurt in Dagestan on August 30, 1996 between Alexander Lebed and Aslan Maskhadov.
Khasavyurt Accord took place following a formal ceasefire agreement which was signed by General Lebed and General Maskhadov in Novye Atagi on August 22, 1996. It included technical aspects of demilitarisation of the Chechen capital Grozny, the creation of joint headquarters to preclude looting in the city, the withdrawal of all federal forces from Chechnya by December 31, 1996 and a stipulation that any agreement on the relations between the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria and the Russian federal government need not be signed until late 2001.
- Chechnya: Khasavyurt Accords Failed To Preclude A Second War, RFE/RL, August 30, 2006
- Ten years since the end of the “first Chechen war", Prague Watchdog, August 31, 2006
- (Russian) Text of the Khasavyurt Accord in Russian
- Text of the Khasavyurt Accord in English
- Text of all peace accords for Russia
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|