The Kommando Spezialkräfte (KSK) Is a special operations unit of the German Army based on units like the SAS and the Delta Force, the KSK participated in operations in the Balkans and the Middle East.
Origin[edit | edit source]
Created between 1994 and 1995, Approximately 20 soldiers were trained in the fall of 1996 and the unit was fully operational in April 1997. According to reports, the impact of seeing 11 German citizens were saved by foreign forces (Belgian paratroopers and French) in Rwanda in 1994 because there was no German unit capable of performing such an operation was the main factor for creating the KSK. To complete his effective were taken command of a Company of each of the third Airborne Brigade, along with the reinforcement of two companies Long Range Reconnaissance (the 3blard was disbanded). The unit plans to be fully operational when achieve 1000 fully trained operators.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Weaponry[edit | edit source]
|HK P8||Semi-automatic pistol||Germany|
|HK USP Tactical||semi-automatic pistol||Germany|
|HK MP5||submachine gun||Germany||In various versions including the HK MP5K and the MP5SD.|
|HK MP7||Personal defense weapon||Germany|
|HK UMP||submachine gun||Germany|
|HK G3||assault rifles||Germany|
|HK G36||assault rifles||Germany||In different versions including the G36C. May be fitted with the AG36 grenade launcher.|
|HK 416||assault rifles||Germany||May be fitted with the AG36 grenade launcher.|
|Accuracy International AWM G22||Sniper rifle||United Kingdom|
|Accuracy International AWM G24||Sniper rifle||United Kingdom|
|HK PSG-1||Sniper rifle||Germany|
|HK MG4||Squad automatic weapon||Germany|
|HK-21||General purpose machine gun||Germany|
|Rheinmetall MG-3||General purpose machine gun||Germany|
|Remington 870||Shotgun||United States|
|FIM-92 Stinger||Air-defense system||United States|
|Panzerfaust 3||Rocket-propelled grenade||Germany|
|MILAN||Anti-tank guided missile||
|HK GMG||automatic grenade launcher||Germany|
Vehicles[edit | edit source]
- Mercedes-Benz G-Class utility vehicles
- AGF (Light infantry vehicle)
- Yamaha ATV (All Terrain Vehicle) KODIAC 4x4
- Enduro Type KTM 640 LC 4 (Motorcycle)
- Hägglunds Bandvagn 206
- Snowmobile LYNX GLX 5900 FC/E Army
- Klepper canoes
Special equipment[edit | edit source]
- Round parachute and HALO/HAHO equipment
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Tasks[edit | edit source]
The KSK is responsible for operations behind enemy lines, long-range reconnaissance, strategic attack, counter-terrorist operations, hostage rescue or evacuation of German citizens in areas at risk abroad in cooperation with allied nations and especially with the NATO. The unit is also prepared to carry out C-SAR. The KSK is shaped according to the SAS. Despite its ability to rescue the hostages KSK is a military unit, with military missions, and not another GSG-9. The KSK may be moved to where the GSG-9 could not (at least officially), however it has happened (the recovery of a plane Lufthansa at the Airport Mogadishu, Somalia in October 1977, for example). Yet the KSK has a hostage rescue team ready to assist the German police whenever necessary. The KSK is also used to project or protect the interests of international Germany. Their missions are very similar to those performed by foreign units as the related SAS, Delta Force or U.S. Special Forces.
Operations[edit | edit source]
KSK missions are still covered under much secrecy, but believe tha
t has already been used in:
- Bosnia - The KSK was using along with other special units (SAS, SEALs, etc.) on the hunt for war criminals Serbs.
- Kosovo - Since its inception in 1996 the KLA - Army of Liberation Kosovo, Had been receiving support from the Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND), the German intelligence service, together with the CIA. The operations were aimed at weakening Slobodan Milosevic, And force him to give autonomy to the province of the majority Albanian. When the conflict between Yugoslavia and the NATO was imminent, commands of the KSK has trained the KLA guerrillas in northern Albania. By the open conflict in 1999, the KSK was used in many covert operations both in Kosovo, As the very Yugoslavia.
- Afghanistan - Probably the KSK participated in the 2001 military operation to liberate eight missionaries from a German aid agency threatened with death and detained by the Taliban on charges of "spreading Christianity" in Afghanistan. This operation was successfully performed before the beginning of American attacks that country. With the invasion of Afghanistan the KSK was moved secretly to the Afghanistan to participate in the hunting operations Al-Qaeda and what remained of the Taliban.
See also[edit | edit source]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|