|Born||March 27, 1889|
|Died||8 May 1948(aged 59)|
|Place of birth||Quedlinburg|
|Place of death||Workuta|
German Empire (to 1918)|
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1907 - 1945|
|Rank||General der Artillerie|
291. Infanterie Division|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Kurt Herzog (27 March 1889, Quedlinburg – 8 May 1948) was a German general who commanded the 291. Infanterie Division during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Kurt Herzog was captured by Soviet troops in May 1945 and died in captivity on 8 May 1948.
Awards and decorations[edit | edit source]
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class (26 October 1914)
- 1st Class (6 November 1916)
- Hanseatic Cross of Hamburg
- Knight's Cross of the Military Order of St. Henry (17 March 1916)
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918 in 1934
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (10 September 1939)
- 1st Class (29 September 1939)
- Eastern Front Medal
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Ärmelband Kurland
References[edit | edit source]
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 186.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 79.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
[edit | edit source]
|Commander of 291. Infanterie-Division
7 February 1940 - 10 June 1942
Generalleutnant Werner Goeritz
General der Infanterie Siegfried Haenicke
|Commander of XXXVIII. Armeekorps
29 June 1942 - 8 January 1945
Renamed XXXVIII Panzerkorps
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|