|Born||30 August 1901|
|Died||17 December 1991(aged 90)|
|Place of birth||Graudenz|
|Place of death||Wilhelmshaven|
German Empire (to 1918)|
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1918-1945|
Segelschulschiff Horst Wessel|
auxiliary cruiser Orion (HSK-1)
World War I|
World War II
Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Great Cross of Merit
Kurt August Viktor Weyher (30 August 1901 – 17 December 1991) was a Konteradmiral of the German Navy (Kriegsmarine) who, during World War II, commanded a merchant raider. Material on the command of the raider Orion was published online at .
Weyher was heavily decorated during his active lifetime and progressed to Konteradmiral (equivalent to Rear Admiral) during the war, so he seems to have been an effective officer at the least.
Although it was not mentioned in his book "The Black Raider", it seems that Weyher was a non-trivial painter; in a feature article author Keith Gordon tells that on the voyage of the Orion Weyher did about 30 paintings on subjects connected with the ship's activities. The one painting illustrated seems to have had narrative merit and to have represented the topographic background recognisably.
- Silesian Eagle 2nd and 1st Grade
- Bewährungsabzeichen der III. Marine-Brigade
- Cross of Honor
- Olympic Games Decoration 2nd Class
- Wehrmacht Long Service Award 4th to 2nd Class
- Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 1. Oktober 1938
- Spanish Cross
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Kriegsabzeichen für Hilfskreuzer (23 August 1941)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross (21 August 1941)
- Order of St Alexander Kommandeurkreuz mit Schwertern
- German Cross in Gold (18 May 1944)
- Order of Michael the Brave 3rd Class
- Order of the Star of Romania Commodore with Swords
- Cross of Merit on ribbon (29 April 1977)
- ↑ Weyher, Kurt; Ehrlich, Hans Jürgen; “The Black Raider”. Pub: ELEK Books London (1955) hardback. Also: Panther Books; Panther edition (1958) paperback
- ↑ Dinsdale, Mike; “Book dives deep for sunken treasure”; The Northern Advocate, Saturday, January 7, 2006 page 13
- ↑ Gordon, Keith (2005). Deep Water Gold. Searov Technologies Limited. ISBN 0-473-10056-8.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Dörr 1996, p. 350.
- Dörr, Manfred (1996) (in German). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Überwasserstreitkräfte der Kriegsmarine—Band 2:L–Z. Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio Verlag. ISBN 3-7648-2497-2.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) (in German). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Range, Clemens (1974) (in German). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kriegsmarine. Stuttgart, Germany: Motorbuch Verlag. ISBN 3-87943-355-0.
- Weyher, Kurt; “The German navy in the south-eastern area of Europe from the summer of 1941 to the autumn of 1944 ; under the orders of the Southern Naval Command”. Publisher: U.S. Navy (1947).
- Weyher, Kurt; Ehrlich, Hans Jürgen; “The Black Raider”. Pub: ELEK Books London (1955) hardback. Also: Panther Books; Panther edition (1958) paperback.
- External links
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|