|Member of the Florida House of Representatives for Dade County|
|Member of the Florida Senate|
from the 41st district
|Born||March 19, 1929|
St. Louis, Missouri
|Died||May 7, 2017 (aged 88)|
Palmetto Bay, Florida
Lee Edward Weissenborn (March 19, 1929 – May 7, 2017) was an American former politician in the state of Florida.
Lee was born in Missouri and came to Florida in 1938. He attended the University of Florida and was an attorney. He also served in the United States Marine Corps. Weissenborn served in the Florida House of Representatives from 1963 to 1966, as a Democrat, representing Dade County. He was elected to the Florida Senate where he served as a distinguished member who was largely responsible for legislation to regulate and protect the migrant farm worker population in then highly agricultural Florida. Weissenborn ran for Congress in 1972 unsuccessfully. Senator Weissenborn is probably best known for his efforts to move the state Capitol from Tallahassee to Central Florida. Although his efforts failed, he is considered chiefly responsible for the construction of a new Florida Capitol building, which has a memorial plaque dedicated to him and acknowledging his role in it. He died in Palmetto Bay, Florida on May 7, 2017 at the age of 88.
- "Florida Senators 1845-2001". University of Florida – George A. Smathers Library. http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/fefdl/florida/Senate18452001.html.
- "Representative Lee Weissenborn (Deceased)". Florida House of Representatives. http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Representatives/details.aspx?MemberId=3848. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- "Portrait of Democrat legislator Glenn Summers". Florida Memory. http://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/22863. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- Ward, Robert L. (2011). "Membership of the Florida House of Representatives by County, 1845-2012". Florida House of Representatives. http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/FileStores/Web/HouseContent/Approved/Public%20Guide/Uploads/Documents/house_counties_final.pdf. Retrieved December 11, 2011.
- Cohen, Howard (May 14, 2017). "He once tried to move Florida’s capital. That didn’t work. But he got change anyway" (in en). Miami Herald. http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/obituaries/article150466057.html.
- Cohen, Howard (May 14, 2017). "Lee Weissenborn: Ex-Florida senator who tried to move state capital to Orlando dead at 88" (in en-US). SunSentinel. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/miami-dade/fl-reg-mh-obit-lee-weissenborn-20170514-story.html.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|