|Leonard H. Lavin|
October 29, 1919|
August 2, 2017 (aged 97)|
|Education||University of Washington|
|Occupation||Businessman, Racehorse owner/breeder, philanthropist|
|Known for||Founder, Alberto-Culver|
|Board member of||Albert-Culver, Histogen, Inc.|
|Spouse(s)||Bernice E. Weiser (1925–2007)|
TOBA Florida Breeder of the Year (1994)|
Eclipse Award Of Merit (2015)
Leonard H. Lavin (October 29, 1919 – August 2, 2017) was an American businessman, racehorse owner and breeder, and philanthropist, who, in 1955 founded the Alberto-Culver Company. He serves as chairman emeritus of the company and is a director of the international manufacturer/distributor of personal care and household/grocery products. Lavin is also a director of Histogen, a regenerative medicine company based in San Diego, California.
Lavin studied at the University of Washington then served in the US Navy for four years. In 1947 he married Bernice Weiser, who went on to become an executive of Alberto-Culver and played an important part in the company's success. Among their philanthropic activities is the Bernice and Leonard H. Lavin Endowed Scholarship for Inner City Chicagoland Students at Lewis University in Romeoville, Illinois, the Lavin VentureStart programs in the Entrepreneurial Management Center at San Diego State University, and the Leonard and Bernice Lavin Entrepreneurial Action Program at the University of Washington.
He died in August 2017 at the age of 97 from complications of pneumonia.
Since the 1960s, Lavin was involved in horse racing. He owned Glen Hill Farm in Ocala, Florida, where he bred Thoroughbreds. In 1994 he was voted the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association's Florida Breeder of the Year award. Among his best-known horses are Relaunch, an outstanding sire whose daughter One Dreamer won the 1994 Breeders' Cup Distaff, In 2015, he was awarded the Eclipse Award Of Merit, a lifetime achievement award.
Lavin is the author of Winners Make It Happen: Reflections of a Self-Made Man.
Leonard H. Lavin was inducted as a Laureate of The Lincoln Academy of Illinois and awarded the Order of Lincoln (the State’s highest honor) by the Governor of Illinois in 1997 in the area of Business and Industry.
- "Our Story" - Alberto-Culver release
- "Histogen - About Histogen - Board of Directors of Histogen". http://www.histogen.com/aboutus/management_board.htm. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- University of Washington
- Chicago Tribune - October 30, 2007
- "Lewis University > Financial Aid > Scholarships Available". http://www.lewisu.edu/admissions/finaid/scholarships/scholarshipsavailable.htm. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- Entrepreneurial Management Center, San Diego State University
- Entrepreneurial Action Program details at the University of Washington News
- Glen Hill Founder Leonard Lavin Passes Away
- "Leonard Lavin". Ocala.com. http://www.ocala.com/article/20050307/OCALALIFE/50302009?Title=Leonard-Lavin. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- Leonard Lavin's profile at Tampa Bay Downs
- Claire Novak (17 January 2016). "At Eclipse Awards, 'AP' is King". BloodHorse.com. http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/97188/at-eclipse-awards-ap-is-king. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "Laureates by Year - The Lincoln Academy of Illinois" (in en-US). http://thelincolnacademyofillinois.org/4632-2/#toggle-id-19.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|