This is a list of United States Navy aircraft wings. It covers both Carrier air wings and land-based wings. Since air groups in the United States Navy were all redesignated as wings, it also covers groups.
Carrier Air WingsEdit
The "A" Prefix denotes USN Atlantic Fleet affiliation, while "N" Denotes USN Pacific Fleet affiliation.
- Carrier Air Wing One (CVW-1) "AB"
- Carrier Air Wing Two (CVW-2) "NE"
- Carrier Air Wing Three (CVW-3) "AC"
- Readiness Attack Carrier Air Wing Four (RCVW-4) "AD" (Disestablished 1970)
- Carrier Air Wing Five (CVW-5)"NF"
- Carrier Air Wing Six (CVW-6) "AE" (Disestablished)
- Carrier Air Wing Seven (CVW-7) "AG"
- Carrier Air Wing 8 (CVW-8) "AJ"
- Carrier Air Wing 9 (CVW-9) "NG"
- Carrier Air Wing 10 (CVW-10) "NM" or "AK" (Disestablished 30 September 1988). Active in the Atlantic Fleet with the tail code "AK" from 1952 to 1969. Wing reestablished on 1 November 1986 in the Pacific Fleet, and the "NM" tail code of the old CVW-19 was given to CVW-10, despite the earlier "AK" code. The new CVW-10 should have been assigned to the aircraft carrier USS Independence (CV-62). However, it was never deployed and CVW-10 was disestablished again on 30 September 1988.
- Carrier Air Wing 11 (CVW-11) "NH"
- Readiness Attack Carrier Air Wing 12 (RCVW-12) "NJ" (Disestablished)
- Carrier Air Wing 13 (CVW-13) "AK" (Disestablished) Established 1 Mar 1984; disestablished 1 Jan 1991. Previous establishment as CVG-13 disbanded 21 August 1962. CVW-13 was assigned CVW-10's original "AK" fin flash during the 1980s.
- Carrier Air Wing 14 (CVW-14) "NK"
- Carrier Air Wing 15 (CVW-15) "NL" (Disestablished)
- Carrier Air Wing 16 (CVW-16) "AH" (Disestablished)
- Carrier Air Wing 17 (CVW-17) "AA"
- No Carrier Air Wing 18 was established, at least according to U.S. Navy official sources. It should be noted that CVG-18 was established on 20 July 1943, and became CVAG-7 on 15 Nov 1946, the predecessor to Carrier Air Wing 7.
- Carrier Air Wing 19 (CVW-19) "NM" (Disestablished)
- Carrier Air Wing 21 (CVW-21) "NP" (Disestablished) - CVG-21 Established 1 Jul 1955; became CVW-21 20 Dec 1963; disestablished 12 Dec 1975.
Reserve Carrier Air WingsEdit
Carrier Air GroupsEdit
- CVG-83 - Established 1 May 1944; disestablished 24 Sep 1945.
Attack Carrier Air GroupsEdit
Light Carrier Air GroupsEdit
Battle Carrier Air GroupsEdit
Escort Carrier Air GroupsEdit
Night Carrier Air GroupsEdit
Night Light Carrier Air GroupsEdit
Night Escort Carrier Air GroupEdit
Ship-Named Air GroupsEdit
- Enterprise Air Group
- Hornet Air Group
- Langley Air Group
- Lexington Air Group
- Ranger Air Group
- Saratoga Air Group
- Wasp Air Group
- Yorktown Air Group
Antisubmarine Carrier Air GroupsEdit
Reserve Antisubmarine Carrier Air GroupsEdit
- Patrol Wing 2 see Patrol and Reconnaissance Wing 2.
Fleet Air WingsEdit
Patrol and Reconnaissance WingsEdit
- Patrol and Reconnaissance Wing 1
- Patrol and Reconnaissance Wing 2
- Patrol and Reconnaissance Wing 5
- Patrol and Reconnaissance Wing 10
- Patrol and Reconnaissance Wing 11
- Patrol and Reconnaissance Wing 57
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Roy A. Grossnick (ed.), United States Naval Aviation 1910–1995, Appendix 15, accessed May 2012
- ↑ [OPNAV Notice 5400 (5400.8543) Modification of Officer in Charge, Patrol and Reconnaissance Force Fifth Fleet Det Bahrain], issued 13 October 2011
- Roy A. Grossnick (ed.), United States Naval Aviation 1910–1995, 
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|