In the United States Navy, commissioned officers are either line officers or staff corps officers. Those of the Staff Corps are specialists in career fields which are professions unto themselves, such as scientists, physicians, lawyers, civil engineers, etc. Staff Corps officers wear their specialty insignia on the sleeve of the dress blue uniforms and on their shoulder boards, in place of the star worn by Line officers. On Winter Blue and khaki uniforms, the specialty insignia is a collar device worn on the left collar, while the rank device is worn on the right.
|Name||Medical Corps||Dental Corps||Nurse Corps||Medical Service Corps||Chaplain Corps (Buddhist)||Chaplain Corps (Christian)|
|Name||Chaplain Corps (Jewish)||Chaplain Corps (Muslim)||Supply Corps||Civil Engineer Corps||Judge Advocate General's Corps|
|†An officer designator describes their general community or profession. The (fourth) digit (X) denotes the whether the officer has a Regular (0), Reserve (5), or Full Time Support (7) commission.|
Staff corps officers are specialists in certain areas, such as supply and medicine. They wear staff corps insignia. A doctor can become the commanding officer (CO) of a hospital, a hospital ship, or a medical school or the chief of the Bureau of Medicine. A supply officer can become the CO of a supply depot or a school or the head of the Navy Supply Systems Command. When officers are of the same grade and date of commissioning, but from different officer’s categories, seniority takes precedence in the following order:
- Civil Engineer
- Judge Advocate General
- Medical Service
In addition to regular commissioned officers, the Navy has another group of officers called commissioned warrant officers.
- List of Naval Officer Designators
- United States Navy officer rank insignia
- Uniforms of the United States Navy
- Badges of the United States Navy
- U.S. Navy midshipman rank insignia can be found in the midshipman article.
- U.S. Navy warrant officer rank insignia can be found in the warrant officer (United States) article.
- List of United States Navy enlisted warfare designations
- United States Navy enlisted rate insignia
- List of United States Navy ratings
- Navy Enlisted Classification
- This article incorporates text in the public domain from the United States Navy.
- ↑ "United States Navy Specialty Insignia — Staff Corps". Navy Data. U.S. Navy. http://www.navy.mil/navydata/ranks/officers/specialty-staff/spclstaff.html. Retrieved 2006-12-26.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|