|Battle/Operation name||From date||To date||Location||Purpose/Result|
|Operation Bruilof||May 1978||Cancelled||Angola||The plan was abandoned and merged into what became Operation Reindeer planned for the 4 May 1975|
|Operation Seiljag||1978||1978||Southern Angola||Flush out South-West Africa People's Organisation bases|
|Operation Reindeer||4 May 1978||10 May 1978||Angola|||
|Operation Kropduif (pouter pigeon)||October 1978||October 1978||Angola||A 2 phased attack on Cahan Tofima and Chana Nutalala as well as Eheke.|
|Operation Rekstok||7 March 1979||14 March 1979||Southern Angola||A series of attacks on SWAPO bases in Mongua, Oncocua, Henhombe and Heque.|
|Operation Safraan||March 1979||April 1979||Zambia||Attacked PLAN bases in retaliation for thier shelling of Katimo Mulilo|
|Operation Sceptic (Smokeshell)||10 June 1980||1 July 1980||Southern Angola||Attack on a SWAPO base but developed into an extended operation as more and more SWAPO caches were discovered in the territory|
|Operation Vastrap||July 1980|
|Operation Klipklop||30 July 1980||30 July 1980||Angola||Attacks on SWAPO facilities|
|Operation Konyn||21 August 1981||23 August 1981||at and around the towns of Cahama and Chibemba in Angola||Destruction of air-defence installations and depots|
|Operation Protea||23 August 1981||4 September 1981||Cunene province, Angola||To destroy the SWAPO command and training center at Xangongo and its logistic bases at Xangongo and Ongiva|
|Operation Daisy||1 November 1981||21 November 1981||Chitequeta and Bambi, Angola||Attack the PLAN regional headquarters and bases.|
|Operation Kerslig||30 November 1981||30 November 1981||Outside Luanda, Angola||A South African Defence Force special forces raid on an oil refinery|
|Operation Super||9 March 1982||14 March 1982||South African border||Prevent PLAN guerrillas infiltrating into South West Africa through the Kaokoveld.|
|Operation Meebos||July 1982||August 1982||Angola||Attacked SWAPO's People's Liberation Army of Namibia (PLAN) bases and new regional headquarters in Southern Angola|
|Operation Dolfyn||May 1983||June 1983||Cuvelai, Angola||Interrupt the infiltration routes of PLAN into SWA/Namibia by attacking PLAN bases and headquarters|
|Operation Karton||July 1983||August 1983||Cangamba, Angola||Support UNITA's attack on Cangamba by means of artillery training and fire support.|
|Operation Skerwe||23 May 1983||23 May 1983||Mozambique|||
|Operation Klinker||29 September 1983||29 September 1983||outside Lubango in Angola||Air attack by the SAAF against a PLAN training base|
|Operation Askari||8 December 1983||13 January 1984||Angola||Disrupt the logistical support and command & control capabilities of PLAN in order to suppress a large-scale incursion into South West Africa planned for January 1984.|
|Operation Southern Cross||1986|
|Operation Alpha Centauri||1986|
|Operation Firewood||31 October 1987||31 October 1987||Angola||An attack on PLAN's on Northern Command base.|
|Operation Hooper||November 1988||February 1989||Cuito Cuanavale, Angola|||
|Operation Packer||August 1987||December 1987||Mavinga, Cuando Cubango Province, Angola||Resulted in a tactical victory for South Africa|
|Operation Prone||27 May 1988||1 September 1988||Namibia||South African defence of SWA/Namibia from a potential invasion by 50th Cuban Division.|
|Operation Displace||30 April 1988||30 August 1988||Angola||Maintain a force east of Cuito Cuanavale and the withdrawal of SADF soldiers from Southern Angola.|
|Operation Merlyn||1 April 1989||9 April 1989||Namibia||Prevent the incursion of PLAN (SWAPO) insurgents into South West Africa/Namibia in contravention to a ceasefire.|
References[edit | edit source]
- Steenkamp, Willem (1989). South Africa's border war, 1966-1989. Gibraltar: Ashanti Pub.. ISBN 0620139676.
- Piet Nortje (2003). 32 Battalion: The Inside Story of South Africa's Elite Fighting Unit. Zebra Press. http://books.google.com/books?id=mHq9uK3OShUC&pg=PA111&dq=Operation+Seiljag&hl=en&ei=pg-ETdvmIJT2tgOXs5X5AQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Operation%20Seiljag&f=false.
- "Death in the Desert: The Namibian Tragedy: Into Angola - Operation Reindeer | Namibia". Namibweb.com. http://www.namibweb.com/chap13.htm. Retrieved 2014-08-06.
- Nortje, Piet (2004). 32 Battalion. The Inside Story of South Africa's Elite Fighting Unit. p. 174. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Nortje169" defined multiple times with different content
- "SABC Truth Commission Special Report". SABC. http://sabctrc.saha.org.za/originals/finalreport/volume2/html/BMvolume2_s1ch2_pg16.htm. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- Scholtz, Leopold (2013). The SADF in the Border War 1966-1989. Cape Town: Tafelberg. ISBN 978-0-624-05410-8.
- George, Edward (2005). The Cuban intervention in Angola : 1965-1991 : from Che Guevara to Cuito Cuanavale (1. publ. ed.). London [u.a.]: Frank Cass. ISBN 0415350158.
- "SABC Truth Commission Special Report". SABC. http://sabctrc.saha.org.za/originals/finalreport/volume2/split/BMvolume2_s1ch2_pg100.pdf. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
|This article contains more content and information than its corresponding article on Wikipedia (view authors).|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.