Insignia of the London District
|Active||1905 — Present|
|Major-General Ben Bathurst|
London District (LONDIST) is the name given by the British Army to the area of operations encompassing the Greater London area. Established in 1870 as Home District, it was re-formed in 1905 as London District to be an independent district within the larger command structure of the army, and has remained so ever since.
HQ London District is based at Horse Guards in Central London, and is under the command of the General Officer Commanding (GOC), currently Major-General Benjamin John Bathurst CBE. The incumbent is concurrently the Major-General Commanding the Household Division. The Garrison Sergeant Major is currently Warrant Officer Class 1 (WO1) Andrew 'Vern' Stokes, Coldstream Guards
London District included the 56th (London) Brigade from January 1987 to 1993. In September 1939, the district included the 1st and 2nd London Divisions, the 22nd Armoured Brigade, the Life Guards and Royal Horse Guards and five Guards infantry battalions.
Forces[edit | edit source]
London District, in addition to its traditional roles, serves as an administrative apparatus for operational infantry battalions that are not attached to a deployable brigade, but instead are available for independent deployment as needed.
HQ London District is responsible for the administration of all Regular Army and Territorial Army units within Greater London that are not part of another formation, including those based at Windsor:
- District Headquarters at Horse Guards
- The Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment at Hyde Park Barracks (Mounted Ceremonial), Regional Command
- 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards Lille Barracks (Light Infantry) - 3 Year Ceremonial / Light Infantry rotations
- 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards Victoria Barracks (Light Infantry) - 3 Year Ceremonial / Light Infantry rotations
- Irish Guards at Lille Barracks (Light Infantry) - 3 Year Ceremonial / Light Infantry rotations
- Welsh Guards at Combermere/Elizabeth Barracks (Light Infantry) - 3 Year Ceremonial / Light Infantry rotations
- The London Regiment (Volunteers) RHQ in Westminster - Paired with "Operational Ceremonial Battalion" 2019-2022 1 GG
- No. 2 (Nijmegan) Company, 2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards (Ceremonial) at Wellington Barracks
- No. 7 Company, 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards (Ceremonial) at Wellington Barracks
- VII (F) Company, 2nd Battalion Scots Guards (Ceremonial) at Wellington Barracks
- The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery at Royal Artillery Barracks (Ceremonial Artillery), Regional Command
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|