|Lothar William Mordian Freiherr von Bischoffshausen|
|Born||February 20, 1897|
|Died||18 February 1970(aged 72)|
|Place of birth||Witzenhausen|
|Place of death||Sternberg|
German Empire (to 1918)|
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1914 - 1945|
|Commands held||Panzergrenadier-Regiment 2|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Lothar William Mordian Freiherr von Bischoffshausen[a] (20 February 1897 – 18 February 1970) was a highly decorated Oberst in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. He was the fourth child of Heino Freiherr von Bischoffshausen and Helene born Freiin von Eickstedt. He married to Margarete Luise von Poseck in 1928.
Awards and decorations[edit | edit source]
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class (24 December 1915)
- 1st Class (25 February 1918)
- Wound Badge (1914)
- in Black (30 September 1918)
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918 (26 January 1935)
- War Merit Cross with Swords
- 2nd Class (19 July 1941)
- 1st Class (25 October 1941)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (14 April 1942)
- 1st Class (23 April 1942)
- Panzer Badge in Bronze (13 July 1942)
- Eastern Front Medal (24 July 1942)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Silver (2 October 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
Footnotes[edit | edit source]
- a Regarding personal names: Freiherr is a former title (translated as Baron), which is now legally a part of the last name. The female forms are Freifrau and Freiin.
References[edit | edit source]
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 114.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.