|Prinzen Ludwig Ferdinand Paul Franz Stanislaus Ulrich Otto Ludolf zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg|
|Born||4 April 1910|
|Died||22 November 1943(aged 33)|
|Place of birth||Berleburg Castle, Germany|
|Place of death||Zhytomyr, Ukraine|
Weimar Republic (to 1933)|
|Years of service||1930–1943|
|Commands held||Kavallerie-Regiment Süd|
World War II
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Prinzen Ludwig Ferdinand Paul Franz Stanislaus Ulrich Otto Ludolf zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg [Notes 1] (4 April 1910 – 22 November 1943) was a highly decorated Oberst in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Ludwig-Ferdinand Prinz von Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg was killed on 22 November 1943 near Zhytomyr, Ukraine. He was posthumously awarded the Knight's Cross on 20 January 1944 and was also promoted to Oberst.
Ludwig was the son of Richard, 4th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Princess Madeleine of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg. He had two older brothers, Gustav Albrecht who was also killed in 1944, and Christian Heinrich who died in 1983. Gustav's son Richard is married to Princess Benedikte of Denmark.
Ludwig married Princess Friederike Juliane of Salm-Horstmar in 1935. They had five children: Marita, Otto-Ludwig, Johann-Stanislaus, Ludwig-Ferdinand and Ulrike-Christine.
His descendents include Ludwig-Ferdinand's daughter Anna, who is married to Prince Manuel of Bavaria.
Awards and decorationsEdit
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (20 May 1940)
- 1st Class (10 June 1940)
- Eastern Front Medal
- German Cross in Gold (15 December 1941)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 20 January 1944 as Oberstleutnant and commander of Kavallerie-Regiment Süd 
- ↑ Fellgiebel 2000, p. 302.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) (in German). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches]. Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007) (in German). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives]. Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
|Commander of Kavallerie-Regiment Süd|
1 June 1943 – 22 November 1943
| Succeeded by|
Major Hans-Jobst Rojahn
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|