|Born||July 24, 1912|
|Died||26 October 1944(aged 32)|
|Place of birth||Inzing|
|Place of death||Rimini, Italy|
|Years of service||1940–1944|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Ludwig Bauer (24 July 1912 – 26 October 1944) was a highly decorated Feldwebel in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Ludwig Bauer was killed on 26 October 1944 near Rimini, Italy and was posthumously promoted to Feldwebel.
For Ludwig Bauer from the television show Greatest Tank Battles, please visit Ludwig Bauer
Awards and decorations[edit | edit source]
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (4 January 1942)
- 1st Class (1 September 1943)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Eastern Front Medal
- Close Combat Clasp
- in Bronze
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 23 October 1944 as Unteroffizier and group leader in the 5./Grenadier-Regiment 117
References[edit | edit source]
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 106.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) (in German). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches]. Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007) (in German). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives]. Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.