The M-1965 Field Jacket (also known as M65 and M-65 Field Jacket), named after the year it was introduced, is a popular field jacket initially designed for the US military under the MIL-C-43455J standard.
It was introduced into US military service in 1965 to replace the M-1951 field jacket still preferred by US Troops, an improvement on the M-1943 field jacket of Second World War design. The M-1965 had a built in hood that rolled up and fit into a pouch on the back of the neck as opposed to the separate hood that attached to the M-1951. The M-1965 also had velcro fasteners on the sleeve cuffs and collar.
The M-65 field jacket was widely used by United States Forces during the Vietnam War in which the jacket became useful for troops serving in the Central Highlands of South Vietnam, as well as keeping a soldier warm from the cool weather conditions that came after monsoonal rains. It was and is a standard issue to US troops in several other wars all around the globe as well.
Originally introduced in olive green shade 107, it is now produced in a large variety of colours and patterns including many military camouflage patterns. The frontmost portion of the jacket has two large hip pockets and two medium-sized breast pockets. The rearmost neck portion and collar of the jacket features a zipper which houses a protective hood. The M-1965 field jacket can be combined with a button-in insulated lining for cold-weather wear, as well as a button on fur trimmed winter hood.
It was almost exclusively made by Alpha Industries for the military, and Alpha was instrumental in working with the U.S. military designers to improve their performance and design.
M65 Jacket in popular culture
- Robert De Niro as Travis Bickle in the movie Taxi Driver.
- Trent Reznor in Taxi Driver -influenced musicvideo I'm Afraid of Americans (by David Bowie)
- Ludacris is seen wearing a M-65 field jacket in Taxi Driver -influenced music video "Slap"
- Henry Rollins in Taxi Driver -influenced music video "Disconnect"
- Al Pacino as Serpico in the movie Serpico.
- Jamal Woolard as Christopher 'Biggie' Wallace in the movie Notorious.
- De'Angelo Wilson as DJ Iz in the movie 8 Mile.
- A passenger in the movie Ride
- Larenz Tate as Anthony Curtis in the movie Dead Presidents.
- Jean-Claude Van Damme as Frank Dux in the movie Bloodsport.
- Kurtwood Smith as Clarence Boddicker and Calvin Jung as Steve Minh in Robocop.
- Adam Baldwin as Ricky Linderman in the movie My Bodyguard.
- Charlie Sheen as Tom Logan in Scary Movie 3
- Scott Patterson as Luke Danes in the series Gilmore Girls.
- Jensen Ackles as Dean Winchester in the series Supernatural.
- Paddy Considine as Richard in the movie Dead Man's Shoes.
- Sylvester Stallone as John Rambo in the movie First Blood and as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa
- Arnold Schwarzenegger as The Terminator in the movie The Terminator, but modified with leather parts and studs by the Punk it was stolen from.
- Various inmates in Lock Up.
- Various characters in seaQuest DSVs second season.
- Pat Morita as Mr Myagi in Karate Kid III.
- Pierce Brosnan as James Bond in Goldeneye.
- Sean Bean as Alec Trevelyan in GoldenEye. modified with buttons,folded collar in Pre title sequence.
- Götz George as Horst Schimanski in the German TV series Tatort.
- Osama Bin Laden was, ironically, often seen wearing an M-65.
- Ahmad Shah Massoud is known to have worn an M-65 field jacket during the Soviet war in Afghanistan in the 1980s.
- Linda Cardellini as Lindsay Weir in the series "Freaks and Geeks".
- Michael A. Goorjian as Heroin Bob in the Film SLC Punk!.
- Jason Lee as Earl Hickey in the series My Name is Earl.
- R. Lee Ermey as Stone in On Deadly Ground.
- Nike Sportswear releases the M-65 as a fashion garment.
- Alex Shepherd, lead character in the video game Silent Hill Homecoming.
- In season four of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica where the landing party discovers their long sought destination of planet Earth is destroyed.
- Brian Austin Green as Derek Reese in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
- Edward Furlong as Hawk in Detroit Rock City.
- Darren Bridgett as David Dryer in film.
- Various Irish Republican militants in Bloody Sunday (TV film).
- Nas in It Ain't Hard to Tell music video.
- Jason Mewes as Jay in the movie Clerks 2.
- Charlie Day as Charlie in Always Sunny in Philadelphia
- Jason Statham as Danny Bryce wears black M-65 on his assault on SAS's veteran Ranulph Fiennes in film
- James Sunderland, the lead character in the video game in Silent Hill 2
- Ryan Reynolds as Andrew Paxton in the movie The Proposal.
- Michael Madsen as Farragut in the movie OUTRAGE: Born in Terror 2009.
- Billy Crystal as Detective Danny Costanzo in the movie Running Scared.
- "The Evolution of a Revolutionary Jacket". http://www.jomers.com/blog/the-evolution-of-a-revolutionary-jacket/.
- M-1965 FIELD JACKET
- US Army Infantryman in Vietnam 1965-73 - Gordon Rottman - Google Boeken. Books.google.com. 2005-07-13. http://books.google.com/books?id=neRKFn-HXAQC&pg=PA22&lpg=PA22&dq=%22m+1965%22+jacket&source=web&ots=fmAQMy5k02&sig=YKD7qNqhozIG3oJHNCIgy883T70. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- M1965 Field Coat
- "Alpha Industries History". http://www.alphaindustries.com/history.asp.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|