Majid Al Barayan (Arabic language: مجيد البريان) is a citizen of Saudi Arabia who was held in extrajudicial detention in the United States Guantanamo Bay detainment camps, in Cuba. His Guantanamo Internment Serial Number was 51. The Department of Defense reports that he was born on September 27, 1972, in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
Majid al Barayan was captured near the Pakistan-Afghan border in December 2001 and was transferred to Saudi Arabia on September 5, 2007.
Combatant Status Review[edit | edit source]
- a. The detainee is a member of al Qaida:
- The detainee traveled from Saudi Arabia to Afghanistan.
- The detainee trained at the al Farouq training camp in Afghanistan.
- The detainee received weapons and explosives training.
- b. The detainee engaged in hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners:
- The detainee fought on the front lines of Afghanistan north of Taloqan, against the Northern Alliance.
- Detainee was in charge of an anti-aircraft missile launcher mounted on a truck.
- The detainee was captured at the Pakistani border.
Repatriation[edit | edit source]
Barayan was one of sixteen Saudi captives repatriated from Guantanamo on September 16, 2007.
References[edit | edit source]
- list of prisoners (.pdf), US Department of Defense, May 15, 2006
- "Majid al Barayan - The Guantánamo Docket". The New York Times. http://projects.nytimes.com/guantanamo/detainees/51-majid-al-barayan.
- "Sixteen Saudis return from Guantanamo Bay prison". Asharq Al-Awsat. September 6, 2007. http://aawsat.com/english/news.asp?section=1&id=10114. Retrieved 2007-09-07.
[edit | edit source]
- The Guantánamo Files: Website Extras (3) – “Osama’s Bodyguards” Andy Worthington