A Marksmanship Device is an award device of the United States Air Force, United States Navy, and United States Coast Guard which is presented as an attachment to the Marksmanship Ribbon. For the Air Force, the addition of a bronze Service Star is used to indicate expert qualification in both rifle and service pistol. For the Navy and Coast Guard, there are two marksmanship devices which are presented for scoring as a Sharpshooter or Expert on a pistol and rifle qualification course. The Coast Guard also has six additional devices which represent accomplishments in Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) sanctioned competitions.
The Sharpshooter Marksmanship Device is typically referred to as the S Device and appears as a bronze colored "S" for the Navy and a silver colored "S" for the Coast Guard. The Expert Marksmanship Device is referred to as the E Device (not to be confused with the Battle E Device) and appears as a silver colored "E".
The Navy and Coast Guard Expert Marksmanship Device is worn on the Marksmanship Ribbon in lieu of the full sized Marksmanship Medal. When wearing the Marksmanship Medal, the Marksmanship Ribbon with Expert Device is not worn.
For a period of time the S Device and E Device were bronze for two consecutive qualifications and a third qualification was necessary to changed the Device to silver with a permanent status.
Coast Guardsman who have been awarded the bronze or silver Coast Guard Excellence-in-Competition Pistol Shot or Rifleman Badge can wear a bronze or silver miniature replica of the M1911 or M14 attached to the U.S. Coast Guard Pistol or Rifle Marksmanship Ribbon respectively. For Coast Guardsman who have been awarded the Coast Guard Distinguished Pistol Shot or Marksman Badge, a small gold metal replica of a pistol or rifle target can be attached to the appropriate marksmanship ribbon.
From 1942 to 1960, the Navy awarded unique Distinguished Marksmanship Ribbons vs. devices for their existing marksmanship ribbons. Today, only Distinguished Marksmanship Badges are authorized for wear on Navy uniforms.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Marksmanship Ribbon
- Marksmanship Medal
- Marksmanship Badge (United States)
- Awards and decorations of the United States military
References[edit | edit source]
- U.S. Air Force Instruction 36-2803, The Air Force Awards and Decorations Program
- Air Force Personnel Center, Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
- U.S. Navy Uniform Regulations, Chapter 5, Section 3
- U.S. Coast Guard COMDTINST M1020.6F
- U.S. Coast Guard COMDTINST M1650.25D
- U.S. Coast Guard Ribbons & Devices chart
- Navy Expert Pistol Medal, MilitaryVetsPX.com, last accessed 7 April 2013
- U.S. Coast Guard Competitive Marksmanship Program, COMDTINST 3590.1A, U.S. Coast Guard, dated 23 April 2013, last accessed 3 September 2013
- A Short History of the Distinguished Shooter Program, by Hap Rocketto, dated 28 September 2010, last accessed 18 February 2013
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|