Khazali in 2015
November 25, 1965 (age 56)|
|Alma mater||Tehran University of Medical Sciences|
|Political party||Islamic Association of Iranian Medical Society|
|Spouse(s)||Fatemeh Mousavi Bojnordi|
Abolghasem Khazali (father)|
Tahereh Kalbasi (mother)
|Years of service||1982–1987|
Mahdi Khazali (Persian: مهدی خزعلی) is a publisher, physician, blogger and son of a leading right-wing cleric and former Counsel of Guardians member, Ayatollah Abolghasem Khazali. He is also an Islamic scholar and the director of the Hayyan Cultural Institute in Tehran. Contrary to the legacy of his father - who is a strong supporter of Iranian President Ahmedinejad - he opposes the excessive mixing of religion and government and believes it can be harmful in modern society. He is one of the strongest critics of the government in Iran. He was a presidential candidate at the 2017 election, but was disqualified by the Guardian Council.
Prison[edit | edit source]
During the 2009 elections,Dr. Khazali adamantly criticized President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. After publishing a controversial article on his blog, in which he claimed that Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had Jewish roots, he was forced to appear in religious court. Following Dr. Mehdi Khazali's appearance in court, he was arrested on June 27, 2009 and taken to a secret location. During his detention, police raided his home and erased his website. Khazali was released on July 20, 2009 on $20,000 bail. On October 13, 2010, Dr. Mehdi Khazali was reportedly arrested again by Iranian security officials. State-run Fars News Agency reports that Dr. Khazali was arrested on charges of “propaganda against the system,” “publishing lies,” and “disturbing public opinion." The Iranian government has made a habit of charging opposition members with such crimes, seemingly as a punishment for criticism of the regime. The Revolutionary Court's Judge issued his release on a $180,000 bail. On July 18, 2011, Khazali was released. He was arrested again on February 8, 2012 and sentenced to fourteen years in prison, tens years in exile, and ninety lashes. Shortly after his arrest, Dr. Khazali went on hunger strike. On Feb 14, 2012, after this days on hunger strike and losing 45 lbs, he was taken to Evin Prison's clinic for treatment.
On 30 October 2012 Mehdi Khazali was arrested with a group of people taking part in the Saraye Ghalam (Pen house) and was transported to Evin prison. He has since been on hunger strike. According to his website, he has been continuously threatened for his involvement in encouraging people to take part in the anti-government demonstrations of 3 November 2012 with the green movement. He has mentioned that his website has been hacked and personally predicted to be arrested soon because a day before the last time that he was arrested, his site had been hacked similarly. 
References[edit | edit source]
- مهدی خزعلی
- "اعضای شورای مرکزی انجمن اسلامی جامعه پزشکی ایران انتخاب شدند" (in fa). Islamic Republic News Agency. October 2015. http://www3.irna.ir/fa/News/81856258/. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- "CyberDissident Database - Iran | Dr. Mehdi Khazali". CyberDissidents.org. http://www.cyberdissidents.org/bin/dissidents.cgi?id=125&c=IR. Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- "AFP: Iran 'arrests son of prominent conservative cleric'". Google.com. 2010-10-14. https://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gZh5nA-UqSrrFj6etSWGbp1gu9ug?docId=CNG.54816e33debe3117debb062e3859e7f7.3d1. Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- "Mehdi Khazali taken to Evin general ward | Iran Briefing – Human Rights Violation by IRGC – نقض حقوق بشر توسط سپاه پاسداران". Iranbriefing.net. 2011-08-10. http://iranbriefing.net/?p=8251. Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- "Blogger Mehdi Khazali Arrested, Again". Rferl.org. 2011-07-18. http://www.rferl.org/content/blogger_mehdi_khazali_arrested_again/24269495.html. Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- IHRV (2009-10-07). "Iran Human Rights Voice » Blog Archive » Detention of Mehdi Khaz-Ali". Ihrv.org. http://www.ihrv.org/inf/?p=2426. Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- "Iranian authorities arrest government critic again | Radio Zamaneh: Independent Media, Debate and E-learning for Iran". Radio Zamaneh. 2011-07-19. http://www.radiozamaneh.com/english/content/iranian-authorities-arrest-government-critic-again. Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- "Mehdi Khazali is released | Human Rights House of IRAN". Rahana.org. 2012-02-03. http://www.rahana.org/en/?p=8017. Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- "International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran – The Arrest of Mehdi Khazali: Continued Pressure On Critics". Iranhumanrights.org. http://www.iranhumanrights.org/2010/10/mehdi-khazali/. Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- سبز سبزم ریشه دارم (2012-02-25). "سبزِ سبزم ریشه دارم: آخرین اخبار از وضعیت مهدی خزعلی". Sabzsabzam.blogspot.com. http://sabzsabzam.blogspot.com/2012/02/blog-post_14.html. Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- http://www.drkhazali.com/index.php/1388-11-13-14-14-13/231/2031.html?phpMyAdmin=bUkIpBM7-6bduKU--HB1XjejWR7%7Ctitle= I follow my majesty Imam Hosein
[edit | edit source]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|