Mikhail Athanas'evich Matyushkin (Russian: Михаил Афанасьевич Матюшкин; 1676-1737) was a general of the Russian Empire during the reign of Peter the Great. He is noted amongst others for his participation in the Russo-Persian War of 1722-1723, during which, in 1723, he captured the Persian city of Baku after a siege of four days. He was also in charge of the overal conquest of Gilan province in the same year.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Matyushkin was born in 1676, a member of the Matyushkin noble family. He was the son of the nobleman Athanasius Ivanovich Matyushkin (d. 1676), he himself being a great-nephew of Tsarina Eudoxia Streshneva (1608-1645). had been an officer of the Preobrezhenskii Regiment of the Russian tsar's life-guards since 1691. In 1697, Mikhail was sent to Italy to study marine affairs, but on returning home he decisively joined the Army.
He participated in the Russo-Persian War of 1722-1723, which had been initiated by his relative Peter I, from the very start. Mikhail was ordered to capture Baku with a flotilla. On 20 June/1 July 1723 the Russian force sailed from Astrakhan and arrived off Baku seventeen days later. After a siege of four days, using heavy artillery bombardments, Matyushkin successfully captured Baku, just a few months after the successful Russian capture of Rasht.
References[edit | edit source]
- Lockhart, Laurence (1958). The fall of the Ṣafavī dynasty and the Afghan occupation of Persia. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 245. https://books.google.com/?id=JCJuAAAAMAAJ&q=lieutenant+general+matyushkin+baku&dq=lieutenant+general+matyushkin+baku.
- Lockhart, Laurence (1958). The fall of the Ṣafavī dynasty and the Afghan occupation of Persia. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 246. https://books.google.com/?id=JCJuAAAAMAAJ&q=Matyushkin+lockhart+siege+baku+days&dq=Matyushkin+lockhart+siege+baku+days.
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Gmelin, Samuel Gottlieb; Floor, Willem M. (2007). Travels Through Northern Persia: 1770-1774. Lightning Source Incorporated. p. 31. ISBN 978-1933823157. https://books.google.com/?id=0e1tAAAAMAAJ&q=Mikhail+Matyushkin+peter&dq=Mikhail+Matyushkin+peter.
- Grey, Ian (1960). Peter the Great: Emperor of All Russia. Lippincott. p. 425. https://books.google.com/?id=KWBpAAAAMAAJ&q=peter+the+great+capture+baku&dq=peter+the+great+capture+baku.
- Lee, Peter J. (2013). Peter the Great. Routledge. p. 31. ISBN 978-1136453250. https://books.google.com/?id=CXl-02q1YwsC&dq=peter+the+great+capture+baku.
- Ravindranathan, Ravi (2013). Death Only Wins: The Stalin Trilogy. Xlibris Corporation. p. 372. ISBN 978-1483691145.
- "Матюшкин, Михаил Афанасьевич" (in Russian). St. Petersburg: Brockhaus and Efron Encyclopedic Dictionary. https://ru.wikisource.org/wiki/%D0%AD%D0%A1%D0%91%D0%95/%D0%9C%D0%B0%D1%82%D1%8E%D1%88%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%BD,_%D0%9C%D0%B8%D1%85%D0%B0%D0%B8%D0%BB_%D0%90%D1%84%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%8C%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%87. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|