|People's Republic of Bangladesh |
Ministry of Defence
| Bengali: প্রতিরক্ষা মন্ত্রণালয় |
|Government Seal of Bangladesh|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Bangladesh|
|Agency executive||Sheikh Hasina, Minister of Defence|
|Child agency||Bangladesh Armed Forces|
The Ministry of Defence (Bangladesh) is the principal administrative organization by which military policy is formulated and executed. The MoD is headed by the Minister of Defence, a civilian and member of cabinet; the post is usually held by the Prime Minister of Bangladesh, who also serves as the President's second-in-command of the military. To coordinate military policy with diplomacy both the President and the Prime Minister are advised by a six-member advisory board, three Chiefs of Staff, which includes the head of each of the regular services, Principal Staff Officer of the Armed Forces Division, and Military Secretaries to the President and the Prime Minister. The Director Generals of the NSI, the DGFI and the BGB also serve in an advisory capacity.
Role and Working[edit | edit source]
- Defence of Bangladesh.
- Defence Services of Bangladesh and Armed Forces attached to or operating with any of the Armed Forces of Bangladesh excluding planning, co-ordination and arrangement of mobilization of the defence services on declaration of national emergency/war and co-ordination and control of the activities of the defence services when deployed in aid of civil administration.
- Army, Naval and Air Force Works.
- Production of cypher documents.
- International Red Cross and Geneva Conventions in so far as these affect belligerents.
- Gallantry awards and decorations in respect of forces under its control.
- Military Lands and Cantonments.
- Meteorological Observations.
- Pardons, reprieves and respites, etc., of all personnel belonging to armed forces.
- National Services and Bangladesh National Cadet Corps (BNCC).
- Matters relating to Cadet Colleges.
- Matters relating to Space Research and Remote Sensing Organisation (SPARRSO).
- Civil Services paid from Defence Estimates.
- Hydrographic Surveys and preparation of navigational charts (excluding Hydrographic surveys in the inland water of Bangladesh and preparation of charts for inland navigation).
- Survey of Bangladesh.
- Budget legal and statutory matters of the Armed Forces.
- Secretarial administration including financial matters.
- Administration and control of subordinate offices and organizations under this ministry.
- Liaison with International Organisations and matters relating to treaties and agreements with other countries and world bodies relating to subject allotted to this ministry.
- All laws on subjects allotted to this ministry.
- Inquires and statistics on any of the subjects allotted to this ministry.
- Fees in respect of any of the subjects allotted to this ministry except fees taken in courts.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|