Harimau hitam in celebration of the 72nd Anniversary of Indonesian National Armed Forces.
|Type||Armoured fighting vehicle|
|Place of origin||Turkey, Indonesia|
The Modern Medium Weight Tank, also known as the MMWT, is a collaborative tank program between Turkish manufacturer FNSS and Indonesian manufacturer PT Pindad. Temporary names for this tank includes Kaplan MT (Turkey), Harimau Hitam/Black Tiger (Indonesia). The tank also appears at the Indonesian military parade 2017.
The governments of Indonesia and Turkey first agreed in May 2015 to jointly develop the MMWT for the Indonesian Army at a reported cost of 30 million US dollars. The development phase of the program was expected to take up to 37 months, with the first prototype being built in Turkey, and the second in Indonesia. The intellectual property of the design was agreed upon to be shared between the two governments.
On 1 November 2016, during the 2016 Indo Defence expo, the first model of the tank was unveiled, along with some technical specifications. Most notably, the vehicles overall weight was reported to be around 35 tonnes, and the main armament would be provided by a Belgian-made turret developed by CMI Defence featuring a 105mm rifled barrel, capable of firing a wide range of projectiles.
On IDEF 2017 (9 May 2017), the first prototype of the tank is revealed. The tank can be fitted with either Cockerill XC-8 105mm concept turret or Cockerill 3105 modular turret. Also, the tank uses modular armor so it can be replaced quickly when damaged.
- Total weight: 35 tonnes
- Top speed: 70 km/h
- Engine power: 700 hp
- Transmission: Fully automatic
- Cruising range: 450 km
- Power-to-weight ratio: 20 hp/tonne
- Barrel caliber: 105mm, rifled
- Secondary guns: 7.62mm machine guns
- Gradient: 60%
- Side slope: 30%
- Obstacle climbing: 0.9 m
- Trench crossing: 2 m
- Gumilang, Prima (2 November 2016). "Industri Pertahanan Akan Teken Kerja Sama di Indo Defence" (in Indonesian). http://www.cnnindonesia.com/nasional/20161101144434-20-169386/industri-pertahanan-akan-teken-kerja-sama-di-indo-defence/. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- "Turkey, Indonesia agree to develop medium-weight tank". Ankara. 7 May 2016. http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkey-indonesia-agree-to-develop-medium-weight-tank-----.aspx?pageID=238&nid=82091. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- "Light weight, low profile [INDODEF16-D1"]. 1 November 2016. http://www.janes.com/article/65134/. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- "FNSS Resmi Perlihatkan Kaplan MT, Prototipe Medium Tank Garapan Bersama PT Pindad – Indomiliter.com" (in en-US). http://www.indomiliter.com/fnss-resmi-perlihatkan-kaplan-mt-prototipe-medium-tank-garapan-bersama-pt-pindad/.
- "Kaplan MT, Medium Tank FNSS-Pindad (foto) Part 2" (in en-US). LANCER CELL. 2017-05-10. https://lancercell.com/2017/05/10/kaplan-mt-medium-tank-fnss-pindad-foto-part-2/.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|