Mohammad Nizamuddin Ahmed
(TAS), OSP, ndc, psc
|Place of birth||Madaripur, Dhaka, Bangladesh|
|Years of service||1979–present|
Chiefs of Naval Staff of the Bangladesh Navy|
Director of Operations of the Bangladesh Coast Guard
Chittagong Naval Area Command
|Awards||Extraordinary Service Medal|
Mohammad Nizamuddin Ahmed (born c. 1960) is an admiral in the Bangladesh Navy and the current Chief of Naval Staff. He previously served as the Director of Coast Guard Operations and commander of Chittagong Naval Command (COMCHIT). He also served in Naval Headquarters as Director of Personnel Services and Secretary to the Chief of Naval Staff. Inter Service Public Relations Directorate (ISPR) announced Ahmed's nomination to succeed Admiral Farid Habib. Ahmed began serving as the 15th Chief of Naval Staff on 27 January 2016.
Ahmed was born in Madaripur, Dhaka in 1960. His father, Late M.A Rashid, was a teacher and his mother late Fazilatunnesa Rashid was a housewife. Ahmed spent his childhood in Madaripur, where he attended local schools.
Ahmed attended Madaripur Islamia Government High School, where he obtained first division with four letters in 1976. He later attended Madaripur Government College. After joining the Navy, Ahmed graduated from Marshal Tito NAval Academy in Yugoslavia. He also obtained degree in Inter Forces Staff Course from France, United States and Canada. Ahmed visited a wide range of countries in the world. He can fluently speak and write in French, and Serbo-Croatian language. Vice Admiral Nizam also completed NDC at the National Defence College, Mirpur.
Ahmed joined Bangladesh Navy on 30 January 1979 and was commissioned on 1 August 1981. During long career span, Ahmed served in the Naval Headquarter as Director of Personnel Services and Secretary to the Chief of Naval Staff. As specialist, he also served as the Instructor of TAS School as well as in Bangladesh Naval Academy. He was the Director of Operations at Bangladesh Coast Guard Headquarters. Vice Admiral Nizam also got the responsibility of selecting the officers of Armed Forces while holding the appointment of Deputy President of ISSB. Vice Admiral Nizam Commanded Torpedo boats, Minesweepers, Gun boats and various Patrol Craft. He had the proud privilege of commanding all the three Ex-RN frigates. He also commanded various bases and subsequently took over the command of the biggest area of Bangladesh Navy at Chittagong. He served more than two years as Area Commander and earned the commendation from the Chief of Naval Staff. He participated in the peacekeeping mission in Ivory Coast during the time of tense situation as Military Observer.
As the chairman of Chittagong Port AuthorityEdit
Vice Admiral Ahmed joined Chittagong Port Authority as Chairman on 26 February 2012 and has served successfully till to date. As the Chairman Chittagong Port Authority he took lot of initiative and opened the first Inland Container Terminal of the country at Pangao near Dhaka. It is worth to mention that Chittagong Port was not closed for a single day due to labour unrest or strike during his tenure. Vice Admiral Nizam did put up his best efforts to establish the country’s much-needed third Sea Port (PAYRA) in the southern region of the country.
|Great Flood Relief of 1998 Medal|
|Cyclone Relief of 1991 Medal||1991 National Election Medal||1996 National Election Medal||Silver Jubilee Medal|
|27 years service||20 years service||10 years service||Hill Tracts Campaign Medal|
- ↑ "CPA chairman Nizamuddin made new navy chief". nbsnews.org/. http://nbsnews.org/2016/01/21/6817/cpa-chairman-nizamuddin-made-new-navy-chief/. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- ↑ "Rear Admiral Nizamuddin made new navy chief". theindependentbd.com. http://www.theindependentbd.com/printversion/details/31219. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- ↑ "Rear Admiral Nizamuddin named navy chief". dhakatribune.com/. http://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/2016/jan/22/rear-admiral-nizamuddin-named-navy-chief. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- ↑ Correspondant, Staff. "Nizamuddin Ahmed picked as new navy chief". thedailystar.net. http://www.thedailystar.net/city/nizamuddin-ahmed-picked-new-navy-chief-205468. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- ↑ "Vice Admiral Mohammad Nizamuddin Ahmed, OSP, ndc, psc Takes over as Chief of Naval Staff". navy.mil.bd. http://www.navy.mil.bd/pdf/news/148.pdf. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- ↑ "Bangladesh appoints new navy chief". xinhuanet.com. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2016-01/22/c_135033146.htm. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- ↑ "Bangladesh appoints new navy chief". globaltimes.cn. http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/965059.shtml. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- ↑ "CPA chairman Nizamuddin made new navy chief". daily-sun.com. http://www.daily-sun.com/post/108605/CPA-chairman-Nizamuddin-made-new-navy-chief. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- ↑ "Newly Appointed Chief of Naval Staff". navy.mil.bd. http://www.navy.mil.bd/pdf/news/146.pdf. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- ↑ "President for tapping Blue Economy potentials". anb24.com/. http://anb24.com/news-31-94077.html. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- ↑ "CHIEF OF NAVAL STAFF". navy.mil.bd. http://www.navy.mil.bd/cns.php. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
Admiral Mohammad Farid Habib
|Chief of Naval Staff|
2016 - 2019
| Succeeded by|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|