|Yang Berbahagia Tan Sri Dato'|
PSM DPMS JMN CMG MBE OStJ
Mervyn Cecil ffrank Sheppard|
21 June 1905
|Died||12 September 1994(aged 89)|
University of Cambridge
|Organization||Malaysian Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society|
|Title||First Keeper of Public Records|
|Spouse(s)||Tengku Mariam Tengku Ismail|
|Years of service||1941–1945|
|Unit||Federated Malay States Volunteer Force|
|Commands held||1st Battalion, Federated Malay States Volunteer Forces|
Abdul Mubin Sheppard , born Mervyn Cecil ffrank Sheppard, pen name M. C. ff Sheppard, (21 June 1905 – 11 September 1994) was a Malaysian World War II veteran and prisoner of war, renowned historian and academician.
Life and career
Mervyn Sheppard was born on 21 June 1905 in Ireland. He obtained his early education at Marlborough College later at Cambridge University. He enrolled in the Malayan Civil Services (MCS) in 1928; a year after passing his qualification examination exam in London. He eventually became attached to the country and its people during his posting there.
World War II
He served as a Company Commander in the 1st Battalion, Federated Malay States Volunteer Force (FMSVF) from 1941 until 1942 with a rank of Captain, in which he became a prisoner of war during the Second World War. He retired as a Major in the FMSVF in 1945.
He deciding to stay on his job in the civil service until his total retirement in 1963. He converted into Islam in 1957, taking on the name of Abdul Mubin Sheppard.
In 1958, he was appointed as the first Keeper of Public Records, whose office would eventually evolve to become the Arkib Negara, or the National Archives. One year later, he became the first director of the then-Federation of Malaya's own national museum; where he had assembled a team tasked with retrieving artefacts covering the many historical eras of Malaya from cities like Lisbon and London to be exhibited there.
He died on 11 September 1994 at the Subang Jaya Medical Centre in Subang Jaya, Selangor. He was buried in Jalan Ampang Muslim Cemetery with military traditions and national honours.
The Mubin Sheppard Memorial Prize was established under his name in 1996 by the Malaysia Heritage Trust to stimulate students' awareness of "the need to conserve Malaysia's built heritage and to encourage research and writings on various aspects of conservation and preservation."
He was the founding father of the Malaya Association of Youth Clubs (EST. 1954), a youth association inspired by the National Association of Boys' Club.
Honours of the United Kingdom
Honours of Malaysia
- Malaysia : Companion of the Order of the Defender of the Realm (JMN) (1963)
- Malaysia : Commander of the Order of Loyalty to the Crown of Malaysia (PSM) (1969)
Malaysian State honours
- Negeri Sembilan
- He was awarded a title of Dato' Jasa Purba Diraja by the Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan for his services as a historian.
- Selangor :
- Knight Commander of the Order of the Crown of Selangor (DPMS, 1982)
Among of his works including:
- Tunku Abdul Rahman; Father of Independence 1957–1970
- The Adventures of Hang Tuah (1949)
- A Short History of Terengganu (1949)
- A Short History of Malaya (1953)
- The Malay Regiment 1933–1947 (1978)
- Taman budiman: Memoirs of an unorthodox civil servant (1979)
- Singapore 150 Years (1982) ISBN 9971-65-092-4
- Tunku, a pictorial biography, 1903–1957 (1984) ISBN 9679780023
- "Imperial War Museum, Department of Documents: 1997 Accessions". https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/accessions/1997/97returns/97ac62.htm.
- SHEPPARD, M. C. ff (1938). "THE TRENGGANU 'RODAT'". pp. 109–114. ISSN 2304-7550. https://www.jstor.org/stable/41559908.
- "Tan Sri Datuk (Dr) Hj. Abdul Mubin Sheppard (1905–1994)". 9 November 2009. https://sembangkuala.wordpress.com/2009/11/09/tan-sri-datuk-dr-hj-abdul-mubin-sheppard-1905-1994/.
- "Profil Tan Sri Datuk Dr. Haji Abdul Mubin Sheppard" (in ms). http://www.arkib.gov.my/web/guest/tan-sri-dato-haji-mubin-sheppard.
- Moggie, Elizabeth (26 January 2018). "Volunteers also gave up life for the country". https://www.thestar.com.my/opinion/letters/2018/01/26/volunteers-also-gave-up-life-for-the-country.
- Noraini Abd. Razak (3 April 2011). "Muzium jadi darah daging" (in ms). http://ww1.utusan.com.my/utusan/info.asp?y=2011&dt=0403&pub=Utusan_Malaysia&sec=Rencana&pg=re_08.htm.
- Rais Yatim. "Kehilangan khazanah budaya Melayu" (in ms). http://ww1.utusan.com.my/utusan/Bicara_Agama/20140401/ba_02/Kehilangan-khazanah-budaya-Melayu.
- "Tan Sri Dato' Dr. Haji Abdul Mubin Sheppard" (in ms). http://www.arkib.gov.my/web/guest/tan-sri-datuk.-dr.-haji-abdul-mubin-shepp.
- "Mubin Sheppard Memorial Prize". http://www.badanwarisan.org.my/publications/1998_1999/msmp.php.
- "Mubin Sheppard" (in ms). 13 September 2010. https://veteranmayc.wordpress.com/2010/09/14/mubin-sheppard/.
- Faridah Abdul Rashid (21 November 2011). "Mubin Sheppard (1905–1994)". http://theearlymalaydoctors.blogspot.com/2011/11/mubin-sheppard.html.
- "Recommendation for Award for Sheppard, Mervyn Cecil Frank Rank: Captain". 5 December 1946. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7397509.
- "Semakan Penerima Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang dan Pingat". http://www.istiadat.gov.my/index.php/component/semakanlantikanskp/.
- "DPMS 1982". http://awards.selangor.gov.my/awards/sublinkyear.php?cat=30&subcat=D.P.M.S..
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|