| This biographical article.
Needs additional citations for verification.
|Born||26 May 1951(age 70)|
|Place of birth||Aleppo, Syrian Republic|
|Rank||General, Syrian Air Force|
Hero of the Soviet Union|
Order of Lenin
Medal "For Merit in Space Exploration"
Muhammed Ahmed Faris (Arabic language: محمد أحمد فارس Muḥammad ʾAḥmad Fāris; born 26 May 1951) is a Syrian military aviator. He was the first Syrian and the second Arab in space.
Born in Aleppo, Syria, he was a pilot in the Syrian Air Force with the rank of a colonel. He specialized in navigation when he was selected to participate in the Intercosmos spaceflight program on 30 September 1985.
He flew as Research Cosmonaut in the Interkosmos program on Soyuz TM-3 to the Mir space station in July 1987, spending 7 days 23 hours and 5 minutes in space. He returned to Earth aboard Soyuz TM-2.
After his spaceflight, he returned to the Syrian Air Force and lived in Aleppo. He is married and has three children.
He is also part of the Syrian National Coordination Committee for Democratic Change, an anti-violence, anti-Assad grouping.
In a March 2016 interview as a Syrian refugee in Turkey, Faris stated regarding the ongoing Syrian Civil War "I tell Europe if you don't want refugees, then you should help us get rid of this regime," adding "I am very sorry about the Russian interference, which has stood on the side of dictator Bashar Assad, and has begun to kill the Syrian people with their planes".
- List of Muslim astronauts
- "Syria’s first astronaut defects to Turkey: report". ArabNews. Archived from the original on August 5, 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20120805154819/http://arabnews.com/syria%E2%80%99s-first-astronaut-defects-turkey-report-0. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- (Russian) Biography at the website on Heroes of the Soviet Union and Russia
- "Syria’s first astronaut defects to Turkey: report". ArabNews. Archived from the original on 5 August 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20120805154819/http://arabnews.com/syria%E2%80%99s-first-astronaut-defects-turkey-report-0. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- رائد الفضاء اللواء محمد فارس يعلن انشقاقه on YouTube
- Al Aan, Akhbar (13 September 2012). "لقاء خاص مع رائد الفضاء السوري المنشق محمد فارس". http://akhbar.alaan.tv/video/alaan-reports/Syria-Revolution-violence-bombing-army-free-mass-Bashar-Assad-Damascus-Aleppo-Idlib-weapon-aircraft-opposition-Mohammed-Fares-astronaut-yaman-shawaf-akhbar-alaan/. Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- Garthwaite, Rosie (1 March 2016). "From astronaut to refugee: how the Syrian spaceman fell to Earth". https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/01/from-astronaut-to-refugee-how-the-syrian-spaceman-fell-to-earth.
- "AP Interview: Syrian cosmonaut: Europe must help oust Assad". http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-3484013/AP-Interview-Syrian-cosmonaut-Europe-help-oust-Assad.html.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|