Captain Sir Robert Henry Muirhead Collins KCMG  (1852–1927) was an English-born Royal Navy officer, Colonial (Permanent Victorian Naval Forces) naval officer, Colonial public servant, Australian Federationist, Australian public service department head and Australia's official representative in London.
Life summary[edit | edit source]
|1852||Born 20 September 1852, Chew Magna, Somerset, England|
|1866||1877||Joins Royal Navy|
|1877||Appointed Lieutenant Commander; retired from Royal Navy|
|1877||Appointed lieutenant in the Permanent Victorian Naval Forces (PVNF), Victoria, Australia|
|1884||Appointed Commander, PVNF|
|1886||Retired from Victorian navy with rank of Captain|
|1886||Married Elizabeth, daughter of Mr. Samuel Brush, pastoralist, of Boondara, New South Wales.|
|1886||1901||Secretary for Defence in Colony of Australia|
|1901||1906||Inaugural Secretary of the Australian Department of Defence|
|1906||1910||Official Secretary to the Commonwealth of Australia in London|
|1913||Delegate for the Commonwealth Government at the|
International Conference on Lifesaving at Sea in London
|1927||Died 19 April 1927, Bath, Somerset, England|
Collins was born to Dr Charles Howell Collins, a surgeon, and his Henrietta Jane Heaven (née Groset). Collins died in 1927 and was survived by his wife and their son, Major Howel Collins (graduated from Royal Military Academy in Woolwich) of the Australian Army.
References[edit | edit source]
- KCMG, London Gazette, 7 October 1919.
- Chris Cunneen and Ann G. Smith 'Collins, Sir Robert Henry Muirhead (1852–1927)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 8, (MUP), 1981.
- Sir R. M. Collins. Death in New York., The Register, 21 April 1927, pg.9. trove.nla.gov.au
- Collins, Sir Robert Henry Muirhead (1852–1927), Life Summary, Australian Dictionary of Biography
- CMG, 24 June 1904, It's an Honour. Citation: Secretary of the Department of Defence
[edit | edit source]
- Olwen Prike (1984) Australia House: A Little Australia in London, Backburning, pp.163–171,254–256. www.api-network.com
- Lieutenant Robert Henry Muirhead Collins, Victorian Navy. www.cerberus.com.au
|New title||Secretary of the Department of Defence
Sir Samuel Pethebridge
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|