Naval Base Coronado (NBC) is a consolidated Navy installation encompassing eight military facilities stretching from San Clemente Island, located seventy miles west of San Diego, California, to the La Posta Mountain Warfare Training Facility and Camp Morena, located sixty miles east of San Diego.
Organization[edit | edit source]
In 1997, Naval Base Coronado was created, incorporating seven separate Naval installations under one Commanding Officer. Those facilities include: Naval Air Station North Island (NASNI); Naval Amphibious Base Coronado (NAB); Outlying Field Imperial Beach (OLIB); Naval Auxiliary Landing Field San Clemente Island (SCI); Silver Strand Training Complex (SSTC), formerly known as the Naval Radio Receiving Facility; Camp Michael Monsoor (CMM); and the Remote Training Site, Warner Springs (SERE).
These seven facilities encompass more than 57,000 acres (230 km²) and make NBC the largest command in the southwest region of the U.S.
Employing over 36,000 military and civilian personnel, NBC accounts for over 30% of the Region's total workforce, and has the largest workforce in San Diego County.
Bases[edit | edit source]
- Naval Air Station North Island ( )
- NASNI is located at the north end of Coronado Island in San Diego Bay and is the home port of several aircraft carriers of the United States Navy. It is part of the largest aerospace-industrial complex in the United States Navy, the 57,000-acre (230 km²) Naval Base Coronado in San Diego County, California.
- Naval Amphibious Base Coronado ( )
- NAB is a major shore command, supporting 27 tenant commands, and is the West Coast focal point for special and expeditionary warfare training and operations. The on base population is 5,000 military personnel and 7,000 students, reservists, and transients.
- Naval Outlying Landing Field Imperial Beach ( )
- NOLF IB is a facility for helicopters, situated on 1,204 acres (5 km²) approximately 14 miles (23 km) south of San Diego and within the city limits of Imperial Beach, California. It is referred to locally as "Ream Field." It is known as "The Helicopter Capital of the World".
- Naval Auxiliary Landing Field San Clemente Island ( )
- SCI, also known as Frederick Sherman Field, is a military airport located on San Clemente Island.
- Silver Strand Training Complex ( )
- SSTC, located between Imperial Beach and Coronado is the premier training facility for the U.S. Military special forces.
- SERE Facility Warner Springs
- La Posta Mountain Warfare Training Facility
- MWTF, located 50 miles east of San Diego, near the city of Campo, in San Diego County, is a 1,063 acres (4 km²) training facility used by the Naval Special Warfare Center.
- Camp Morena ( )
- Located north of Lake Morena County Park, near Campo, San Diego County, California.
Controversy[edit | edit source]
"The Navy plans to spend $600,000 for “camouflage” landscaping and rooftop adjustments so that 1960s-era barracks, at the Naval Base Coronado near San Diego will no longer look like a Nazi Swastika (卐) from the air. The resemblance went unnoticed by the public for decades until it was spotted in aerial views on Google Earth." (exact co-ordinates )
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|