|Nie Fengzhi (聂凤智)|
|Born||1913 or 1914|
|Place of birth||Hubei Province, Republic of China|
|Allegiance||People's Republic of China|
|Service/branch||People's Liberation Army|
|Battles/wars||Second Taiwan Strait Crisis|
Biography[edit | edit source]
Nie joined the People's Liberation Army (PLA) in 1929 and served with the force until his retirement. He was involved in founding the PLA Air Force, and commanded the PLA's first aerial unit, the 4th Mixed Brigade, which was established on 19 June 1950. He attained the rank of lieutenant general in 1955.
Korean War[edit | edit source]
Taiwan Strait Crises[edit | edit source]
At the time of the First Taiwan Strait Crisis, Nie commanded the East China (Huadong) Air Force. During the Crisis, he served as vice-commander of the Zhejiang Front Command (ZFC)—established in 1954 by order of Mao Zedong and led by Zhang Aiping—and commanded the ZFC air force. He was one of the architects of the campaign to capture the Dachen Islands from the Republic of China. During a meeting of the ZFC commanders on 31 August 1954, Nie opposed the "majority opinion" favoring an immediate amphibious invasion of Dachen, and instead supported the "limited piecemeal tactics" proposed by Zhang. The resulting "Zhang-Nie plan" involved a focus on Yijiangshan Island, north of Dachen, and led to the Battle of Yijiangshan Islands in January 1955. During the course of the campaign, Nie personally spoke with every PLA pilot participating in operations in order to convey the order issued by the Central Military Commission to avoid direct confrontation with American air forces.
Nanjing Military Region[edit | edit source]
From 1975 to 1977, Nie served as Deputy Commander of the PLA's Nanjing Military Region and was a member of the Standing Committee of the Party Committee of the Nanjing Military Region CPC. He became the Commander of the Military Region and Secretary of the Standing Committee in 1977, and remained in these posts until 1982. He was also a member of the 11th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China, which was in session from 1977 to 1982.
Death[edit | edit source]
Selected publications[edit | edit source]
- Nie Fengzhi et al (1985) (in Chinese). Sanjun huige zhan Donghai [Three services wield weapons in East China Sea combat]. Beijing: PLA Press. 
- Nie Fengzhi (in Chinese). Zhanchang: jiangjun de yaolan. 
- Nie Fengzhi. "Coordination with Army and Navy forces during the liberation of Yijiangshan Island". 
References[edit | edit source]
- "Lieutenant General - Nie Fengzhi". China Military Online. http://english.chinamil.com.cn/special/figures/zj/nfz.htm. Retrieved 10 March 2010.
- "Chronicle of Major Developments in Chinese Aeronautics". Chinaculture.org. http://www.chinaculture.org/gb/en_aboutchina/2003-09/24/content_26564.htm. Retrieved 22 March 2010.
- Zhang, Xiao Ming (2004). "Red Wings Over the Yalu: China, the Soviet Union, and the Air War in Korea". College Station, TX: Texas A&M University Press. p. 176. ISBN 1-58544-201-1.
- Xiaoming Zhang (2003). "Air Combat for the People's Republic: The People's Liberation Army Air Force in Action, 1949–1969". In Ryan, Mark A; Finkelstein, David Michael; McDevitt, Michael A. Chinese Warfighting: The PLA Experience Since 1949. Armonk, New York: M.E. Sharpe. pp. 270–300. ISBN 978-0-7656-1088-1. http://books.google.com/books?id=D0Z5KbjUeaUC&lpg=PP1&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q=&f=false. Retrieved 14 March 2010.
- Shu Guang Zhang (1992). Deterrence and strategic culture: Chinese-American confrontations, 1949–1958. Ithaca, New York: Cornell University Press. p. 218. ISBN 978-0-8014-2751-0. http://books.google.com/books?id=jcUSFc76XEYC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA218#v=onepage&q=&f=false. Retrieved 22 March 2010. "General Nie Fengzhi, then air force commander of the East China Military region, recalls ordering his pilots not to engage any U.S. planes without express and prior approval from the Zhedong Front Command headquarters."
- Xiaobing Li (2003). "PLA Attacks and Amphibious Operations During the Taiwan Strait Crises of 1945–55 and 158". In Ryan, Mark A; Finkelstein, David Michael; McDevitt, Michael A. Chinese Warfighting: The PLA Experience Since 1949. Armonk, New York: M.E. Sharpe. pp. 143–172. ISBN 978-0-7656-1088-1. http://books.google.com/books?id=D0Z5KbjUeaUC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA143#v=onepage&q=&f=false. Retrieved 10 March 2010.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|