|Nikolay Mikhailovich Afanasyev|
|File:File:A portrait of Nikolay Mikhaylovich Afanasyev.jpg|
Nikolay Mikhailovich Afanasyev|
November 14, 1916
St. Petersburg, Russia.
|Died||March 15, 2009(aged 92)|
Biography[edit | edit source]
Nicolai Michaelovitch Afanasiev was born in Russia on 14 November 1916 in St. Petersburg. In 1938 he graduated from a Tekhnikum of the Mechanization of Agriculture.
In 1939 he was drafted to serve in a tank corps in Mongolia, where he started to work on machine gun design. After the Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union, he volunteered for front-line service. He was allowed to be a fighter from September 1941 until the fall of 1942, when he was recalled to work on armaments, initially on improving fuses for 82- and 120-mm mortars.
He died on 15 March 2009.
Designs[edit | edit source]
- LAD machine gun – 1942
- Afanasev A-12.7 – 1950
- Afanasev Makarov AM-23 – 1953
- a bullpup design with which he participated in the AKM contest - 1955
- 2A-14 23 mm autocannon, used in the ZU-23 – 1960 (with P.G. Yakushev)
- 2A-7 23 mm autocannon, used in the ZSU-23-4 – 1960 (with P.G. Yakushev)
- TKB-0136, competed in Project Abakan
- OTs-02 Kiparis
Honours and awards[edit | edit source]
- Hero of Socialist Labour (1986) – For achievements in the design of aircraft gun armament
- Two Orders of Lenin (1963, 1986)
- Order of the October Revolution (1977)
- Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd class (1963)
- USSR State Prize (1967)
- Mosin Prize
- Honoured Inventor of the RSFSR (1968)
References[edit | edit source]
- "Памяти Николая Михайловича Афанасьева", КАЛАШНИКОВ. ОРУЖИЕ, БОЕПРИПАСЫ, СНАРЯЖЕНИЕ 2009/4, p. 24
- Руслан Учмак, "Не вписавшийся в классификации. Лёгкий пулемёт под пистолетный патрон конструкции Лютого, Афанасьева и Дейкина", Kalashnikov 2012/5, pp. 82-87; addendum photo with the belt and its box: Коробка и лента к пулемету ЛАД под 7,62-мм пистолетный патрон Archived 2014-02-09 at the Wayback Machine.
- Monetchikov, Sergei (2005) (in Russian). St. Petersburg: Military Historical Museum of Artillery, Engineers and Signal Corps. pp. 87–93. ISBN 5-98655-006-4.
[edit | edit source]
- http://www.bratishka.ru/archiv/2007/8/2007_8_17.php Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Lang/ISO 639 synonyms' not found.
- Photo of Afanasyev's small arms designs at Tula museum
- Николай Михайлович Афанасьев[dead link] page at KBP
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|