|Nineveh Plain Forces|
ܚܝ̈ܠܘܬܐ ܕܕܫܬܐ ܕܢܝܢܘܐ |
Participant in the Iraqi Civil War (2014–present)
Nineveh Plain Forces Logo.jpg|
Emblem of the NPU.
|Active||January 2015 – Present|
|Nineveh Plain, Northern Iraq|
Bet-Nahrain Democratic Party|
Beth Nahrain Patriotic Union
Syriac Military Council (MFS)|
Bethnahrain Women's Protection Forces
Nineveh Plain Protection Units
|Opponents||Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant|
|Battles/wars||Battle of Mosul (2016-17)|
The Nineveh Plain Forces (Syriac language: ܚܝ̈ܠܘܬܐ ܕܕܫܬܐ ܕܢܝܢܘܐ) or NPF is a military organization that was formed on 6 January 2015 by indigenous Assyrian Christians in Iraq, in cooperation with Peshmerga, to defend against Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. The Nineveh plains are a region at the heart of the Assyrian homeland. The militia is affiliated with the Bet-Nahrain Democratic Party and the Beth Nahrain Patriotic Union (HBA), the latter being part of the secular Dawronoye movement. It participated in the Battle of Mosul (2016–17).
Battle of Mosul (2016-17)[edit | edit source]
On 17 October 2016, NPF announced their intentions to participate in the planned offensive in the Nineveh Plain alongside the Iraqi Army, Peshmerga and Iraqi Federal Police. The NPF plans to liberate all Chaldean-Syriac-Assyrian villages in the Nineveh Plain.
The Chaldean Syriac Assyrian political organizations held a meeting on October 29, 2016 to continue discussions from their previous meeting that was held on October 21, 2016. The meeting was hosted by Bishop Mar Yokhana Putrus Moshe with the presence of representative of His Holiness Patriarch Mar Georgis Third Saliwa at the headquarters of the Syriac Catholic Diocese. During the meeting, they discussed ways to unite the efforts of the military and security coordination in the Nineveh Plain areas in order to enable the people of the region to management the security file. It was agreed that the military forces formations of our people are the fundamental forces to protect towns and villages in the Nineveh Plain. Seeking unity for the joint military efforts and coordination of security leaders by holding joint meetings between the stakeholders for this purpose.
NPF liberated the Assyrian village of Batnaya on Tuesday 25 October alongside Dwekh Nawsha and Peshmerga forces. The NPF placed the cross on the Chaldean Catholic Mar Oraha Monastery in Batnaya after ISIS removed all Christian religious symbols from the village.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Bet-Nahrain Democratic Party
- Nineveh Plain Protection Units
- Nineveh Plains Security Forces
- Dwekh Nawsha
- List of armed groups in the Iraqi Civil War
References[edit | edit source]
- "Assyrian Forces Secure Abandoned Front Line Town Against ISIS In North Iraq". http://www.aina.org/news/20160127210835.htm. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- "Inside the Christian Militias Defending the Nineveh Plains". Warisboring. 7 March 2015. https://warisboring.com/inside-the-christian-militias-defending-the-nineveh-plains-fe4a10babeed#.e83w8o5am. Retrieved 8 January 2017.
- "The establishment of Nineveh Plain Forces – NPF". Syriac International News Agency. 7 January 2015. http://www.syriacsnews.com/establishment-nineveh-plain-forces-npf/. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "NPF: Chaldean-Syriac-Assyrian people of Iraq liberate their Christian homeland from ISIS". Syriac International News Agency. 30 May 2016. http://www.syriacsnews.com/npf-chaldean-%C2%ADsyriac-assyrian-people-iraq-liberate-christian-homeland-isis/. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "NPF declaring their participation to Mosul offensive". Syriac International News Agency. 18 October 2016. http://www.syriacsnews.com/npf-declaring-participation-mosul-offensive/. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "NPF declaring their participation to Mosul offensive - Syriac International News Agency". 18 October 2016. http://www.syriacsnews.com/npf-declaring-participation-mosul-offensive/. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- "Assyrians in Iraq to Unify Their Militias". http://www.aina.org/news/20161101133731.htm. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- "Video: Iraqi troops liberate Christian town of Bartella from IS group - France 24". 23 October 2016. http://m.france24.com/en/20161023-video-iraqi-troops-liberate-christian-town-bartella. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- Administrator. "مسؤول قوات سهل نينوى: تحرير باطنايا ودير مار أوراها بالكامل ورفع الصليب على الدير". http://www.bet-nahrain.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4890:2016-10-25-16-55-17&catid=24:2010-10-11-17-17-04&Itemid=45. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
[edit | edit source]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|