|Nineveh Plain Protection Units|
ܚܕܵܝـ̈ــܘܵܬ ܣܸܬܵܪܵܐ ܕܫܸܛܚܵܐ ܕܢܝܼܢܘܹܐ |
Hdayutha Sitra d'Meshtakha d'Ninwe
Participant in the Iraqi insurgency (2011–present)
Emblem of the NPU
|Active||20 June 2014–Present|
|Strength||1,000–4,000 active, 5,500 enlisted|
|Part of||Assyrian Democratic Movement|
|Opponents||Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant|
The Nineveh Plain Protection Units NPU (Syriac language:ܚܕܵܝـ̈ــܘܵܬ ܣܸܬܵܪܵܐ ܕܫܸܛܚܵܐ ܕܢܝܼܢܘܹܐ) is a military organization created in June 2014 in order to defend Iraq's Assyrian Christians from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, and possibly retake their lands currently in ISIL's hands. The group is aided by the American Mesopotamian Organization and Chaldean Syriac Assyrian diaspora communities worldwide. NPU has up to 5,500 men. A spokesman said the group also eventually plans to seek support from American and European governments.
According to USnews, Nineveh Plain Protection Units can be legally funded. All financial supports for Nineveh Plain Protection Units to fight against ISIS can be donated through Restore Nineveh Now and American Mesopotamian Organization.
Nineveh plains (Syriac: ܦܩܥܬܐ ܕܢܝܢܘܐ; Pqata d'Ninwĕ, Syriac language:ܕܫܬܐ ܕܢܝܢܘܐ; Daŝta d'Ninwĕ, Arabic language:سهل نينوى; sahl naynawā, Kurdish: Deşta Neynewa) is a region in the Ninawa Governorate of Iraq to the north and east of the city Mosul. It generally consists of three districts; Tel Keppe, Al-Hamdaniya, and Al-Shikhan. The area includes the ancient Assyrian ruins of the cities of Nineveh, Nimrud and Dur-Sharrukin, as well as numerous ancient religious sites such as Mar Mattai Monastery, Rabban Hormizd Monastery, Tomb of Nahum and Lalish.
- Newsweek article: 4000 Strong NPU Assyrian Soldiers
- The Wall Street Journal: The Assyrian Christians Take Up Arms To Fight ISIS
- Restore Nineveh Now
- Assyrian Democratic Movement
- Assyrian Democratic Organization
- ↑ "Younadam Kanna". Profile. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonadam_Kanna.
- ↑ "Christians in Iraq Forming Militia to Defend, and Possibly Retake, Ancestral Lands". Site. http://www.aleteia.org/en/world/article/christians-in-iraq-forming-militia-to-defend-and-possibly-retake-ancestral-lands-5337839336161280.
- ↑ "Assyrians Need Autonomous Region, Says Advisor to Mosul's Governor". Website. http://aina.org/news/20141210231844.htm.
- ↑ http://aina.org/news/20141210231844.htm
- ↑ "Christians in Iraq Forming Militia to Defend, and Possibly Retake, Ancestral Lands". http://www.aleteia.org/en/world/article/christians-in-iraq-forming-militia-to-defend-and-possibly-retake-ancestral-lands-5337839336161280.
- ↑ http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/iraq-hangs-26-convicted-terror-charges-21606806
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|