|Squadron No. 22|
|File:IAF 16 Squadron Crest.jpg|
|Role|| Counter-air |
|Aircraft Operated||Jaguar IB and IS|
|Home Station||AFS Gorkhapur|
|Notable Battles||Indo-Pakistani War of 1965 |
Bangladesh Liberation War, 1971
It was re-equipped in 1954, with B-24 Liberators, and its role was changed to heavy bombing. It was re-equipped again in 1957 with Canberras, and moved to Kalaikunda, under the Central Air Command. It saw action for the first time during the annexation of Goa, where it flew bombing raids against Dabolim Airfield, and a few raids in Diu. It also saw action during the Sino-Indian War.
During the War of 1965, the squadron flew several sorties and strike missions over vital targets. Several targets including the Sargodha airfield, Chakjkhumra, and Badin SU were attacked. The most significant of these was a successful daylight raid against a highly defended Radar at Badin.
During the War of 1971, the squadron was involved in full scale operations against under the command of late Wing Commander P. Gautam (MVC, bar VM). It carried out successful bombing raids on heavily defended targets both in East Pakistan, and West Pakistan. During these operations, the squadron earned a bar Maha Vir Chakra, 3 Vir Chakras, and 2 Vayusena Medals.
- Wing Commander Padmanabha Gautam, MVC
- Wing Commander Peter Maynard Wilson, VrC
- Squadron Leader Suresh Damodar Karnik, VrC
- Squadron Leader Kalyan Kumar Dutta, VrC
- Flight Lieutenant Aspari Raghunath, VrC
- Flight Lieutenant PS Subramaniam, VM
- Wing Commander Purnachandra Madhavrao Takle, VM
- Flight Lieutenant B M Malik, VM
- Wing Commander Ramesh Rai, VM (Devotion to duty)
- JWO K K Raju, Commendation by CAS, 1997
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "No 16 Squadron(Black Cobra)". Indian Airforce. http://indianairforce.nic.in/show_unit.php?ch=14. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Lake Air International December 2001, pp. 345–346.
- ↑ "Awards for 16 Squadron". Bharat Rakshak. http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Database/Awards/awards.php?qunit=16%20Squadron. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- Bharat Rakshak, 16 Squadron
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|