|No. 265 Squadron RAF|
August 1918 – Jan 1919|
11 March 1943 – 30 April 1945
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Part of||RAF Coastal Command|
|Squadron Badge||No badge authorised|
On at least one of the squadron's aircraft, but not known to be universal through the squadron))
No. 265 Squadron RAF was an anti-submarine squadron of the Royal Air Force during two world wars.
History[edit | edit source]
Formation and World War I[edit | edit source]
Though the squadron was officially formed somewhere in August 1918 at Gibraltar from three former RNAS flights to perform anti-submarine patrols, there is no evidence that the squadron number was actually used. It was officially disbanded in January 1919.
World War II[edit | edit source]
On 11 March 1943 the squadron was officially reformed at Mombasa, again in the anti-submarine role. The squadron used the Consolidated Catalina to patrol the Indian Ocean from its base at Diego Suarez in northern Madagascar. Although the squadron headquarters remained at Diego Suarez, aircraft were also based in Kenya, Aden, Mauritius and South Africa. The squadrons disbandment date is as clouded as its founding date: sources cite 18 April 1945; 30 April 1945 or 1 May 1945.
Aircraft operated[edit | edit source]
|Aug 1918||Jan 1919||Short 184|
|Aug 1918||Jan 1919||Felixstowe F.3|
|Apr 1943||Apr 1945||Consolidated Catalina||Mks.I and Ib|
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Rawlings 1982, p. 186.
- Halley 1988, p. 332.
- Jefford 2001, p. 83.
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937–56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth 1918–1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE, BA, RAF(Retd.). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1988 (second edition 2001). ISBN 1-85310-053-6.
- Rawlings, John D.R. Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Jane's Publishing Company Ltd., 1982. ISBN 0-7106-0187-5.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|