|No. 286 Squadron RAF|
|Active||17 November 1941 - 16 May 1945|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
Latin: Praesidia Nostra Exercemus|
("We exercise our defences")
|Squadron Badge heraldry||In front of a three-bladed propellor, a grenade fired|
|Squadron Codes||NW (Nov 1941 - May 1945)|
No. 286 Squadron RAF was a non-operational Second World War Royal Air Force squadron that operated a variety of aircraft to provide targets for anti-aircraft gun practice in the west country of England.
History[edit | edit source]
From 24 January 1942 the squadron was headquartered at newly operational RAF Lulsgate Bottom. However as the facilities there were still unfinished, from 2 March to 30 April the headquarters used RAF Colerne. It returned to Lulsgate only briefly before leaving for RAF Zeals on 26 May.
Aircraft operated[edit | edit source]
|Nov 1941||Jan 1942||Westland Lysander||Mk.II|
|Nov 1941||Jun 1943||Hawker Hurricane||Mk.I|
|Nov 1941||Jul 1944||Boulton-Paul Defiant||Mks.I, III|
|Nov 1941||May 1945||Airspeed Oxford||Mks.I, II|
|Apr 1942||May 1945||Hawker Hurricane||Mks.IIc, IV|
|Jul 1943||Dec 1944||Miles Martinet||Mk.I|
|Nov 1944||Mar 1945||Miles Master||Mk.III|
References[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Halley 1988, p. 348.
- James 1989, p. 17.
- James 1989, pp. 21–22.
- Rawlings 1982, p. 256.
- Jefford 2001, p. 85.
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force and Commonwealth, 1918-1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- James, Ian. The Story of RAF Lulsgate Bottom. Bristol: Redcliffe Press, 1989. ISBN 0-948265-48-5.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE, BA, RAF(Retd). RAF Squadrons: A Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of All RAF Squadrons and Their Antecedents Since 1912, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1988. ISBN 1853100536. (second revised edition 2001. ISBN 1-84037-141-2.)
- Rawlings, John D.R. Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Jane's Publishing Company Ltd., 1982. ISBN 0-7106-0187-5.
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982-1985). Orbis Publishing. 1985.
[edit | edit source]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|