|No. 356 Squadron RAF|
|Active||15 January 1944 – 15 November 1945|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Role||long range bomber|
|Part of||No. 231 Group RAF, South East Asia Command|
|Motto(s)||We bring freedom and assistance|
|Squadron Badge heraldry||A demi-tiger erased|
No. 356 Squadron RAF was a short-lived long range bomber squadron of the Royal Air Force between 1944 and 1945.
History[edit | edit source]
The squadron was formed on 15 January 1944 at Salbani, Bengal, British India, as a long range bomber unit equipped with the Consolidated Liberator. The squadron attacked Japanese bases in South East Asia and planted mines outside enemy harbours. In July 1945 the squadron moved to the Cocos Islands to prepare for the invasion of Malaya. The end of the war came before the invasion was carried out and the squadron performed supply-dropping and transport duties until it was disbanded on 15 November 1945.
Aircraft operated[edit | edit source]
|January 1944||November 1945||Consolidated Liberator||Mk.VI|
Squadron bases[edit | edit source]
|15 January 1944||22 July 1945||RAF Salbani, Bengal, British India|
|22 July 1945||15 November 1945||Cocos Islands, Straits Settlements|
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Delve, Ken. The Source Book of the RAF. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1994. ISBN 1-85310-451-5.
- Gwynne-Timothy, John R.W. Burma Liberators: RCAF in SEAC. Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Next Level Press, 1991. ISBN 1-895578-02-7.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force and Commonwealth, 1918–1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE, BA, RAF(Retd). RAF Squadrons: A Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of All RAF Squadrons and Their Antecedents Since 1912, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1988. ISBN 1853100536. (second revised edition 2001. ISBN 1-84037-141-2.)
- Jones, Mike. Signed with their Honour. 355/356 Squadrons' Association, 2005.
- Moyes, Philip J.R. Bomber Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Macdonald and Jane's (Publishers) Ltd., 1964 (new edition 1976). ISBN 0-354-01027-1.
- Oughton, James D. with John Hamlin and Andrew Thomas. The Liberator in Royal Air Force and Commonwealth Service. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd., 2007. ISBN 978-0-85130-362-8.
[edit | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to No. 356 Squadron RAF.|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|