|No. 513 Squadron RAF|
|Active||15 Sep 1943 – 21 Nov 1943|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Part of||No. 3 Group RAF, Bomber Command|
|Squadron Badge heraldry||No badge authorised|
|Squadron Codes||CS (Oct 1943 – Nov 1943)|
No. 513 Squadron RAF was a non-operational bomber squadron of the Royal Air Force in 1943.
History[edit | edit source]
No. 513 squadron was formed from a flight of no. 218 squadron on 15 September 1943 at RAF Witchford, Cambridgeshire. It worked up for the Short Stirling bomber, but did not obtain operational status, as its aircraft were more needed at the Stirling conversion units and was disbanded on the 21 November 1943.
Aircraft operated[edit | edit source]
|October 1943||November 1943||Short Stirling||Mk.III|
Squadron bases[edit | edit source]
|15 September 1943||21 November 1943||RAF Witchford, Cambridgeshire|
Commanding officers[edit | edit source]
|15 September 1943||21 November 1943||W/Cdr. G.E. Harrison, DFC|
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937–56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Falconer, Jonathan. Stirling Wings: The Short Stirling goes to War. Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK: Sutton Publishing Ltd., 1995. ISBN 1-84015-004-1.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Gomersall, Bryce. The Stirling File. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd./Aviation Archaeologists Publications, 1979. ISBN 0-85130-072-3.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth 1918–1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE, BA, RAF(Retd.). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1988 (second edition 2001). ISBN 1-85310-053-6.
- Moyes, Philip J.R. Bomber Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Macdonald and Jane's (Publishers) Ltd., 2nd edition 1976. ISBN 0-354-01027-1.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|