|No. 530 Squadron RAF|
|Active||2 Sep 1942 – 25 Jan 1943|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Role||Turbinlite nightfighter squadron|
|Part of||No. 12 Group RAF, Fighter Command|
|Squadron Codes||QM (Sep 1942 – Jan 1943)|
No. 532 Squadron RAF was one of the ten Turbinlite nightfighter squadrons of the Royal Air Force during the Second World War.
History[edit | edit source]
No. 532 Squadron RAF was formed on 2 September 1942 from 1453 (Turbinlite) Flight, based at RAF Wittering. 1453 Turbinlite Flight had previously operated in conjunction with No. 151 Squadron RAF and No. 486 Squadron RNZAF. It was disbanded at RAF Hibaldstow on 25 January 1943, when the Turbinlite squadrons were, due to lack of success on their part and the rapid development of AI radar, thought to be superfluous.
Aircraft operated[edit | edit source]
|2 September 1943||25 January 1944||Douglas Havoc||Mks.I, II|
|2 September 1943||25 January 1944||Douglas Boston||Mk.III|
|2 September 1943||25 January 1944||Hawker Hurricane||Mks.IIb, IIc|
Squadron bases[edit | edit source]
|2 September 1943||9 November 1943||RAF Wittering, Northamptonshire||Det. at RAF Hibaldstow, Lincolnshire|
|19 November 1943||25 January 1944||RAF Hibaldstow, Lincolnshire|
Commanding officers[edit | edit source]
|2 September 1943||25 January 1944||S/Ldr. C.L.W. Stewart|
References[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth 1918–1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE, BA, RAF(Retd.). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1988 (second edition 2001). ISBN 1-85310-053-6.
- Rawlings, John D.R. Fighter Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Macdonald & Jane's (Publishers) Ltd., 1969 (2nd edition 1976, reprinted 1978). ISBN 0-354-01028-X.
- Sturtivant, Ray, ISO and John Hamlin. RAF Flying Training And Support Units since 1912. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd., 2007. ISBN 0-85130-365-X.
[edit | edit source]
- "History of No. 532 Squadron.". Royal Air Force History. Royal Air Force. 2003-04-07 (old site). http://www.raf.mod.uk/history_old/h532.html.
- "History of No. 532 Squadron.". Royal Air Force History. Royal Air Force. 2010-04-23 (new site). http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/532squadron.cfm.
- "No. 532 Squadron RAF.". RAF Fighter Command 1939 – 1945. Ross McNeill. 2010-04-23. http://www.rafcommands.com/Fighter/532F.html.
- "No 521 – 540 Squadron Histories". Air of Authority — A History of RAF Organisation. M B Barrass. 2010-04-23. http://www.rafweb.org/Sqn521-540.htm.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|