|No. 567 Squadron RAF|
|Active||1 December 1943 – 15 June 1946|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Part of||No. 70 Group RAF, Fighter Command|
|Squadron Codes||I4 (Dec 1943 – Jun 1946)|
History[edit | edit source]
No. 567 Squadron was formed on 1 December 1943 at RAF Detling, Kent from No. 1624 (Anti-Aircraft Co-Operation) Flight. The anti-aircraft co-operation duties included target-towing with Miles Martinets, gun-laying and searchlight practice with Airspeed Oxfords and simulated attacks on exercising troops with Hawker Hurricanes. After the end of World War II, the Martinets gave way for the Vultee Vengeances and the Hurricanes were replaced with Supermarine Spitfires. The Oxfords stayed with the squadron till it was disbanded, 15 June 1946 at RAF West Malling.
Aircraft operated[edit | edit source]
|December 1943||June 1945||Hawker Hurricane||Mk.IV|
|December 1943||July 1945||Miles Martinet||Mk.I|
|December 1943||July 1945||Fairey Barracuda||Mk.II|
|December 1943||June 1946||Airspeed Oxford||Mks.I, II|
|January 1945||June 1946||Vultee Vengeance||MK.IV|
|February 1945||December 1945||Avro Anson||Mk.I|
|July 1945||June 1946||Supermarine Spitfire||Mk.Vb|
|July 1945||June 1946||Supermarine Spitfire||Mk.XVI|
Squadron bases[edit | edit source]
|1 December 1943||14 November 1944||RAF Detling, Kent||Det. at RAF Eastchurch, Kent|
|14 November 1944||13 June 1945||RAF Hornchurch, Essex||Dets. at RAF Hawkinge, Kent; RAF Lympne, Kent and RAF Eastchurch, Kent|
|13 June 1945||21 August 1945||RAF Hawkinge, Kent|
|21 August 1945||26 April 1946||RAF Manston, Kent||Det. at RAF Eastchurch, Kent|
|26 April 1946||15 June 1946||RAF West Malling, Kent|
References[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937–56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens, 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Delve, Ken. The Source Book of the RAF. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1994. ISBN 1-85310-451-5.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth 1918–1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians), 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE, BA, RAF(Retd.). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1988 (second edition 2001). ISBN 1-85310-053-6.
- Rawlings, John D.R. Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Jane's Publishing Company, 1982. ISBN 0-7106-0187-5.
- Sturtivant, Ray, ISO and John Hamlin. RAF Flying Training And Support Units since 1912. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air-Britain (Historians), 2007. ISBN 0-85130-365-X.
[edit | edit source]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|