|No. 587 Squadron RAF|
|Active||1 December 1943 – 15 June 1946|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Squadron Codes||M4 (Dec 1943 – Jun 1946)|
No. 587 Squadron RAF was an anti-aircraft co-operation squadron of the Royal Air Force from 1943 to 1946.
History[edit | edit source]
The squadron was formed at RAF Weston Zoyland, England on 1 December 1943, from 1600 Flight, 1601 Flight and 1625 Flight for anti-aircraft co-operation duties over Wales and the south east of England. It operated a variety of aircraft in this role. Due to the ongoing training requirement the squadron was not disbanded at the end of the war and it moved to RAF Tangmere on 1 June 1946 to cover the south coast, but was disbanded shortly afterwards on the 15 June 1946.
Aircraft operated[edit | edit source]
|December 1943||February 1944||Airspeed Oxford|
|December 1943||May 1944||Hawker Henley||Mk.III|
|December 1943||June 1945||Hawker Hurricane||Mk.IV|
|December 1943||August 1945||Miles Martinet|
|March 1944||June 1945||Hawker Hurricane||Mk.IIc|
|October 1944||June 1946||Vultee Vengeance||Mk.IV|
|April 1945||May 1945||North American Mustang||Mk.I|
|July 1945||June 1946||Supermarine Spitfire||Mk.XVI|
Squadron bases[edit | edit source]
|1 December 1943||10 April 1944||RAF Weston Zoyland, Somerset|
|10 April 1944||1 October 1944||RAF Culmhead, Somerset||Dets. at RAF Pengam Moors, Glamorgan, Wales; RAF Colerne, Wiltshire|
and RAF Carew Cheriton, Pembrokeshire, Wales
|1 October 1944||1 June 1946||RAF Weston Zoyland, Somerset||Dets. at RAF Middle Wallop, Hampshire and RAF Ibsley, Hampshire|
|1 June 1946||15 June 1946||RAF Tangmere, West Sussex|
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937–56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Delve, Ken. The Source Book of the RAF. Shrewsbury, UK: Airlife Publishing, UK, 1994. ISBN 1-85310-451-5.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth, 1918–1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air-Britain (historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE, BA, RAF (retd.). RAF Squadrons: A Comprenhensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, UK: Airlife Publishing, UK, 2001. ISBN 1-84037-141-2.
- Rawlings, John D.R. Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Jane's Publishing Company Ltd., 1982. ISBN 0-7106-0187-5.
[edit | edit source]
- Short 587 Squadron history on new MOD site
- Squadron histories for nos. 541–598 sqn on RafWeb's Air of Authority – A History of RAF Organisation
Related content[edit | edit source]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|