|No. 631 Squadron RAF|
|Active||1 December 1943 - 7 February 1949|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
No. 70 Group RAF, Air Defence of Great Britain (43-44)|
No. 70 Group RAF, Fighter Command (44-49)
|Squadron Codes||6D (Dec 1943 - Feb 1949)|
History[edit | edit source]
The squadron was formed at RAF Towyn on 1 December 1943, from 1605 Flight and 1628 Flight for anti-aircraft co-operation duties, and operated a variety of aircraft in this role. On 10 May 1945 the squadron moved to RAF Llanbedr. It was disbanded on 11 February 1949 when redesignated No. 20 Squadron RAF.
Aircraft operated[edit | edit source]
|December 1943||February 1945||Hawker Henley||Mk.II|
|March 1944||July 1945||Hawker Hurricane||Mk.IIc|
|August 1944||July 1945||Airspeed Oxford|
|September 1944||October 1944||Miles Martinet||Mk.I|
|May 1945||May 1947||Vultee Vengeance||Mk.IV|
|June 1945||July 1945||Supermarine Spitfire||Mk.Vb|
|June 1945||February 1949||Supermarine Spitfire||Mk.XVI|
|January 1947||February 1949||Miles Martinet||Mk.I|
|August 1948||February 1949||De Havilland Vampire||F.1|
Squadron bases[edit | edit source]
|1 December 1943||10 May 1945||RAF Towyn, Caernarfonshire, Wales||Det. at RAF Llanbedr, Gwynedd, Wales|
|10 May 1945||11 February 1949||RAF Llanbedr, Gwynedd, Wales|
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937-56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Delve, Ken. The Source Book of the RAF. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1994. ISBN 1-85310-451-5.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth 1918-1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE,BA,RAF (Retd). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 2001. ISBN 1-84037-141-2.
- Rawlings, John D.R. Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Jane's Publishing Company Ltd., 1982. ISBN 0-7106-0187-5.
[edit | edit source]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|