|No. 635 Squadron RAF|
|Active||20 March 1944 – 1 September 1945|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Part of||No. 8 Group RAF Bomber Command|
|Base||RAF Downham Market, Norfolk|
Latin: Nos Ducimus Ceteri Secunter|
(Translation: "We lead, others follow")
|Squadron Badge heraldry||In front of a roundel nebuly, a dexter gauntlet holding three flashes of lightning|
|Squadron Codes||F2 (Mar 1944 – Sep 1945)|
Four-engined heavy bomber
History[edit | edit source]
635 squadron was formed at RAF Downham Market in Norfolk on 20 March 1944 from two flights drawn from No. 35 Squadron and No. 97 Squadron, equipped with Lancaster Mk.I bombers, as part of No. 8 Group RAF in Bomber Command. It re-equipped with Lancaster Mk.III bombers the same month, then Lancaster Mk.VI bombers in July. After the end of its bombing operations in April 1945 it was used for transport and food relief until disbanded at Downham Market on 1 September 1945.
Notable squadron members[edit | edit source]
Aircraft operated[edit | edit source]
|March 1944||March 1944||Avro Lancaster||Mk.I|
|March 1944||August 1945||Avro Lancaster||Mk.III|
|July 1944||November 1944||Avro Lancaster||Mk.VI|
Squadron bases[edit | edit source]
|20 March 1944||1 September 1945||RAF Downham Market, Norfolk|
References[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937–56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Delve, Ken. The Source Book of the RAF. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1994. ISBN 1-85310-451-5.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth 1918–1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE, BA, RAF(Retd.). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 1988 (second edition 2001). ISBN 1-85310-053-6.
- Moyes, Philip J.R. Bomber Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Macdonald and Jane's (Publishers) Ltd., 2nd edition 1976. ISBN 0-354-01027-1.
- Thorne, Alex. Lancaster at War 4: Pathfinder Squadron. Shepperton, Surrey, UK: Ian Allan, 1995. ISBN 0-7110-1882-0.
[edit | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Category:No. 635 Squadron RAF.|
- No. 635 Squadron RAF movement and equipment history
- History of No.'s 621–650 Squadrons at RAF Web
- A photograph of a 635 Squadron Lancaster
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|