Ole Siem (11 January 1882 – 1979) was a Norwegian naval officer, businessman and politician.
Siem took actively part in local politics, and was elected to the municipal council in Horten (1925–1928), Tromsø (1931–1934) and Hadsel (1937–1940). He was director of Troms Fylkes Dampskibsselskap from 1929 to 1934, and of Vesteraalens Dampskibsselskab from 1936 to 1950.
During the Battles of Narvik in 1940 he served with the 6th Division, as head of the sea transport. During the German occupation of Norway he was among the resistance pioneers in Northern Norway. He was incarcerated at Åneby/Grini from April to July 1941, as a "Svolvær hostage". He was later arrested by the Gestapo in December 1942, but was transferred to the Wehrmacht as prisoner-of-war in 1943 when about 1,100 Norwegian military officers were sent to prisoner-of-war camps in Poland and Germany for the rest of the war.
He was decorated Knight, First Class of the Order of St. Olav in 1946. He was Officer of the French Legion of Honour, recipient of the Polish Virtuti Militari, 4th Class, and of the Turkish Liakat Medal.
- Steenstrup, Bjørn, ed (1973). "Siem, Ole" (in Norwegian). Hvem er hvem?. Oslo: Aschehoug. p. 501. http://runeberg.org/hvemerhvem/1973/0501.html. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- Hoemsnes, Ole M. "Martin Siem". In Helle, Knut (in Norwegian). Norsk biografisk leksikon. Oslo: Kunnskapsforlaget. https://nbl.snl.no/Martin_Siem. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- Hovland, Torkel (2000) (in Norwegian). General Carl Gustav Fleischer; Storhet og fall. Oslo: Forum – Aschehoug. pp. 170–172. ISBN 82-03-29097-3.
- Ulstein, Ragnar (1989) (in Norwegian). Etterretningstjenesten i Norge 1940-1945. 1. Cappelen. pp. 58, 248–249. ISBN 82-02-12401-8.
- Børre R. Giertsen, ed (1946). "121. Siem, Ole" (in Norwegian). Norsk fangeleksikon. Grinifangene. Oslo: Cappelen. p. 5.
- Ulstein, Ragnar (1990) (in Norwegian). Etterretningstjenesten i Norge 1940-1945. 2. Cappelen. pp. 183, 360. ISBN 82-02-12421-2.
- Ottosen, Kristian, ed (2004) (in Norwegian). Nordmenn i fangenskap 1940–1945 (2nd ed.). Oslo: Universitetsforlaget. p. 612. ISBN 82-15-00288-9.
- Amundsen, O. Delphin (1947) (in Norwegian). Den kongelige norske Sankt Olavs Orden 1847-1947. Oslo: Grøndahl. p. 499.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|