|Part of the War in Afghanistan (2001–present)|
Operation Baawar (Pashto for assurance), was a major Afghan-led offensive in Afghanistan west of Kandahar City. The operation took place primarily in a sector known as the Horn of Panjwaii. The combat operation started on December 5, 2010. Canadian troops from Task Force Kandahar, including those from the 1st Battalion Royal 22e Régiment Battle Group, worked with the Afghan National Army’s 1st Brigade of the 205th (Hero) Corps as part of the larger Operation Hamkari. Part of Operation Baawar included Canadian and Afghan engineering units building 17 kilometres (11 mi) of road between Mushan and Sperwan Ghar.
Timeline of battleEdit
December 7, 2010Edit
On December 7, 2010, soldiers from the Royal 22e Régiment had taken a Taliban stronghold in the district of Zangabad south-west of Kandahar City. The Canadian troops in Zangabad were supported by Leopard 2A6M tanks from 12e Régiment blindé du Canada and engineers.
December 18, 2010Edit
On December 18, Corporal Steve Martin, from 3rd Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment, serving with 1st Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment Battle Group, was killed by an improvised explosive device in the Panjwai district of Kandahar Province. He was reportedly patrolling on foot near the new road being built in the area when the blast occurred.
- ↑ http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/12/05/afghanistan-canadian-offensive.html Canadian Forces on new Kandahar offensive
- ↑ http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Canadian+units+back+Afghan+mission/3932822/story.html Canadian units back Afghan-led mission
- ↑ http://www.globalnews.ca/world/story.html?id=3930787 Canadians support Afghan-led mission into Taliban stronghold
- ↑ http://www.cefcom-comfec.forces.gc.ca/pa-ap/fs-ev/2010/12/07-eng.asp Op BAAWAR launched in support of HAMKARI
- ↑ http://www.cefcom-comfec.forces.gc.ca/pa-ap/fs-ev/2010/12/07b-eng.asp 1 R22eR Battle Group takes the road to Mushan
- ↑ http://www.capacadie.com/canada/2010/12/6/une-place-forte-talibane-tombe-entre-les-mains-des-troupes-de-la-coalition Une place forte talibane tombe entre les mains des troupes de la coalition
- ↑ http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/canadian-tanks-near-zangabad-as-nato-road-crew-presses-into-taliban-village-111448584.html Canadian tanks near Zangabad as NATO road crew presses into Taliban village
- ↑ http://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadian-soldier-killed-afghanistan-20101219-073927-747.html Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan
- ↑ http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?cat=00&cat=00&id=3686 One Canadian soldier killed by improvised explosive device
- ↑ http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/Lost+Comrade+Afghanistan/4002098/story.html 'We Lost A Comrade' In Afghanistan
- ↑ http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/asia-pacific/canadian-soldiers-death-comes-amid-fresh-nato-push/article1844056/ Canadian soldier’s death comes amid fresh NATO push
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|