|Operational Command "North"|
Air and ground army groups
(Operation Command North is shown in green)
|Chief of the Directorate||Major General Oleksandr Lokota|
|Ground Forces Sleeve patch|
|Main branch insignia|
|Territorial Directorate "North" Sleeve patch|
|Operation Command North sleeve patch|
Operational Command North is a command of the Ukrainian Ground Forces in northern Ukraine. It was formed in 2013 from the Western Operational Command and Territorial Directorate North by reforming the 13th Army Corps.
The operation command traces its history back to Territorial Directorate "North", which was created on the basis of Northern Territorial Operational Command by Directive №322/1/010 of the Minister of Defence of Ukraine on 20 May 2005.
The previous Northern Operational Command was created in 1996 and based on the 1st Army Corps that continued the traditions of the 1st Guard Red-Banner Army. It encompassed six oblasts: Poltava, Sumy, Kiev, Zhytomyr, Chernihiv, and Cherkasy. The command consisted of units and military formations of the 8th Army Corps.
On 15 August 2005, temporary Chief of the Directorate Colonel Yuriy Horoliuk signed the first Order within the Directive. This day is considered the creation date for the Directorate. The Territorial Directorate "North" was the first to switch to a new system of control.
When Ukraine gained independence, the 1st Guards Army was stationed on Ukrainian territory with its headquarters at Chernihiv. During the early 1990s, the army was reformed into the 1st Army Corps. In 1996, the Northern Operational and Territorial Command was formed from the corps. At the beginning of 1998, the command was split into the Northern Operational Command, managing operations in the area. The Northern Territorial Command controlled other functions. In August 2005, Territorial Directorate "North" was established from the Northern Operational Command.
The Directorate was responsible for territory spanning over 196,000 km2 (75,676 sq mi), in which 15,000,000 people lived in 2008. The oblasts (provinces) of Kharkiv, Poltava, Sumy, Kiev, Zhytomyr, Chernihiv, and Cherkasy were all are under the Directorate control. The Directorate was in charge of the 7 oblasts and Kiev City Military Commissariat, 135 regional military commissariats, 530 military units and bases. As of 2008, the mission of the directorate was to organize territorial defence, recruit conscripts and contract soldiers and manage infrastructure.
In November 2013, the directorate was reformed into Operational Command North. The command absorbed units of the disbanded 13th Army Corps.
- Operational Command North, Chernihiv
- 1st Tank Brigade, Honcharivske
- 30th Mechanized Brigade, Novohrad-Volynskyi
- 58th Motorized Brigade, Konotop
- 72nd Mechanized Brigade, Bila Tserkva
- 26th Artillery Brigade, Berdychiv
- 1129th Anti-aircraft Missile Regiment, Bila Tserkva
- 5th Signal Regiment, Chernihiv
- 12th Engineer Regiment, Novohrad-Volynskyi
- 50th Maintenance Regiment, Huiva
- 20th Electronic Warfare Battalion, Zhytomyr
- 54th Reconnaissance Battalion, Novohrad-Volynskyi
- 181st Logistic Support Battalion, Novohrad-Volynskyi
- 226th Transport Battalion, Berdichev
- 134th Security & Service Battalion, Chernihiv
- 90th Command & Intelligence Center, Chernihiv
- 367th Information & Signal Center, Chernihiv
- Regional Radioelectronic Intelligence (REI) Center, Chernihiv
- 121st Maneuverable REI Center, Chernihiv
- 122nd REI Center, Chuguev
Additionally the following major ground combat formations of other branches of the Ukrainian Armed Forces, respectively the ground forces, are based in the area of Operational Command North:
- Ground Forces:
- 27th Rocket Artillery Brigade "Sumy", in Sumy
- 43rd Heavy Artillery Brigade, in Pereiaslav-Khmelnytskyi
- 18th Army Aviation Brigade, in Poltava
- 107th Rocket Artillery Regiment, in Kremenchuk
- Air Assault Forces:
- 95th Air Assault Brigade, in Zhytomyr
- Air Forces:
This table includes commanders of Northern Operational Command, Territorial Directorate "North" and Operational Command North.
|Military Rank||Name||Term of Office|
|Colonel General||Viktor Kolotov||1996||1998|
|Colonel General||Oleh Shustenko||2000||2005|
|Colonel||Yuriy Horoliuk||15 August 2005||2005|
|Major General||Serhiy Bessarab||2005||2007|
|Major General||Anatoliy Syrotenko||2007||2012|
|Lieutenant General||Ihor Kolesnik||November 2013||2015|
|Major General||Oleksandr Lokota||Unknown||present|
- ↑ (Ukrainian) 3rd anniversary of creation of the Directorate
- ↑ (Ukrainian) Contract personnel of the Directorate
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 "У Чернігові відбулися урочисті збори та святковий концерт з нагоди 3-ї річниці з дня створення Територіального управління "Північ" Сухопутних військ Збройних Сил України" (in Ukrainian). mil.gov.ua. 15 August 2008. http://www.mil.gov.ua/index.php?lang=ua&part=news&sub=read&id=12578.
- ↑ Brief history of the Ukrainian military.
- ↑ Holcomb, Franklin. The Order of Battle of the Ukrainian Armed Forces. Institute for the Study of War, Washington DC.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|