|Otago Mounted Rifle Regiment|
|Allegiance||New Zealand Crown|
|Branch||New Zealand Army|
New Zealand Mounted Rifles Brigade|
New Zealand Division
The Otago Mounted Rifle Regiment was a New Zealand Mounted Regiment formed for service during the Great War. It was formed from units of the Territorial Force consisting of the 5th Mounted Rifles (Otago Hussars) the 7th (Southland) Mounted Rifles and the 12th (Otago) Mounted Rifles. They saw service during the Battle of Gallipoli, with the New Zealand Mounted Rifles Brigade and was later withdrawn to Egypt. They later left the brigade and served in served in France with the New Zealand Division becoming the only New Zealand Mounted troops to serve in France.
Great War Battles[edit | edit source]
- Battle of Gallipoli
- Battle of Flers - Courcelette. 15–22 Sep 1916.
- Battle of Morval. 25–28 Sep 1916.
- Battle of Le Transloy. 1–18 Oct 1916.
- Battle of Messines. 7–14 Jun 1917.
- Battle of Polygon Wood. 26 Sep – 3 Oct 1917.
- Battle of Broodseinde. 4 Oct 1917.
- Battle of Passchendaele. 12 Oct 1917.
- Battle of Arras. 28 Mar 1918.
- Battle of the Ancre. 5 Apr 1918.
- Battle of Albert. 21–23 Aug 1918.
- Battle of Bapaume. 31 Aug – 3 Sep 1918.
- Battle of Havrincourt. 12 Sep 1918.
- Battle of the Canal du Nord. 27 Sep – 1 Oct 1918.
- Battle of Cambrai. 8–9 Oct 1918.
- Pursuit to the Selle. 9–12 Oct 1918.
- Battle of the Selle. 17–25 Oct 1918.
- Battle of the Sambre. 4 Nov 1918, including the Capture of Le Quesnoy.
References[edit | edit source]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|