|Headquarters||La Spezia, Italy|
Oto Melara is an Italian defence company with factories in Brescia and La Spezia. Oto Melara's best-known weapons since World War II are the mountain pack howitzer Model 56, which is in service throughout the world, and the 76mm naval gun, which has been adopted by 53 navies and is installed on over 1,000 naval vessels.
History[edit | edit source]
Pre World War I[edit | edit source]
It was founded in 1905 as a joint venture of Vickers and Terni. During World War I, Vickers Terni produced many weapons with calibre 40 mm and upwards. In 1929 the company was renamed Odero Terni Orlando with the abbreviation OTO. During World War II, mostly heavy guns for battleships were produced.
Post World War II[edit | edit source]
In 1953 the company took the name OTO Melara.
Before Italy joined NATO, Oto Melara produced civil products, like tractors and looms, but quickly returned to the production of weapons. On 1 December 2001, the naval artillery division of Oto Melara merged with that of Breda Meccanica Bresciana to form Otobreda. The combined entity produces the DARDO CIWS, Otobreda 76 mm and Otobreda 127/54 Compact naval guns. Oto Melara's land defence operations are part of the Finmeccanica conglomerate.
Main products[edit | edit source]
Vehicles manufactured include:
- Ariete Main Battle Tank
- OF-40 Main Battle Tank
- Centauro Wheeled Tank Destroyer
- Dardo Infantry Fighting Vehicle
- VBM Freccia 8x8 Wheeled Infantry Fighting Vehicle
- Puma 6x6 and Puma 4x4 Wheeled Armoured Personnel Carrier
- Palmaria self-propelled artillery
- Otomatic anti-aircraft tank (SPAAG)
Weapons manufactured includes:
- OTO Melara Mod 56 105/L14 Pack Howitzer
- HITFACT three-man turret armed with a 120mm/45 calibre or 105mm/52 calibre gun
- HITFIST two-man turret armed with a 25 or 30mm automatic cannon and 7.62mm coaxial machine gun (plus two TOW launchers as option)
- Hitrole Remote Weapon Station for 7.62mm or 12.7mm machine gun or 40 automatic grenade launcher
- Otobreda 127/54 Compact naval gun
- Otobreda 127/64 Lightweight naval gun
- 76/62mm Allargato
- Otobreda 76 mm naval gun
- Otomat Anti-ship missile
- Skyguard "Aspide" Anti-Air missile system
- SIDAM 25 anti-aircraft gun
- DARDO CIWS a twin 40mm naval gun mounting
Ammunition manufactured includes:
- Vulcano 76/127/155mm
The naval defence operations produce a wide range of automatic naval artillery, rocket and missile launchers and remote controlled small calibre defence cannons.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Oto Melara official website
- "EUR 80M to OTO Melara for F125 Frigate Gun Systems". defenseindustrydaily.com. http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/?s=mexican+oto+melara+12.7mm. Retrieved 2007-10-21.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|