|Born||9 May 1916|
|Died||11 March 2013(aged 96)|
|Place of birth||Stettin|
|Place of death||Bad Pyrmont|
Nazi Germany (to 1945)|
Luftwaffe (to 1942)|
|Years of service||1937–1942, 1957–1974|
Kapitän zur See (Bundeswehr)
SSS Gorch Fock|
KG 3 "General Wever"
Destroyer Zerstörer 2 (D171)
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Paul Brasack (9 May 1916 – 11 March 2013) was a Kapitänleutnant with the Kriegsmarine during World War II and commander of U-737. He was born in Stettin. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross (German language:Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes). The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
As a U-boat commander Brasack was not credited with sinking any ships. His U-boat was part of a wolf pack which operated against Convoy JW 56A and Convoy JW 56B. He fired at the destroyer HMS Milne on 31 January 1944, but missed, the torpedo exploded in the destroyers wake. His actions against the convoys pulled off the escorting destroyers enabling other U-boats of his wolf pack to attack. For these actions he was awarded the Knight's Cross.
Following World War 2, Brasack joined the military service in the Bundeswehr of the Federal Republic of Germany on 1 October 1957. He commanded the destroyer Zerstörer 2 (D171) (formerly USS Ringgold (DD-500)) from September 1962 until March 1964. From 15 September 1968 to 1 September 1971 he served as naval attaché at the German Embassy in Washington, D.C..
- Observation Badge (28 February 1940)
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe for Combat Pilots in Gold
- Ehrenpokal der Luftwaffe (24 June 1941)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- U-boat War Badge (1939) (24 September 1942)
- U-boat Front Clasp in Silver
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 30 October 1944 as Kapitänleutnant and commander of U-737
- Legion of Merit (10 October 1972)
- Busch, Rainer & Röll, Hans-Joachim (2003). Der U-Boot-Krieg 1939-1945 - Die Ritterkreuzträger der U-Boot-Waffe von September 1939 bis Mai 1945 (in German). Hamburg, Berlin, Bonn Germany: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn. ISBN 3-8132-0515-0.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- "Paul Brasack". uboat.net. http://uboat.net/men/brasack.htm. Retrieved 28 September 2013.
- "Paul Brasack" (in German). Lexikon der Wehrmacht. http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Personenregister/B/BrasackP.htm. Retrieved 28 September 2013.
- "Paul Brasack" (in German). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–45. http://www.ritterkreuztraeger-1939-45.de/Kriegsmarine/B/Brasack-Paul.htm. Retrieved 28 September 2013.
Fregattenkapitän Otto Ites
|Commander of German destroyer Zerstörer 2 (formerly USS Ringgold)|
October 1962 – March 1964
| Succeeded by|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|