Philip Hichborn photographed by C. M. Bell Studio|
Philip Hichborn photographed by C. M. Bell Studio
|Residence||Washington D. C.|
Admiral Philip Hichborn (b. March 4, 1839 - 1910) was Chief Constructor and Chief of the U. S. Navy's Bureau of Construction and Repair from 1893 to 1901. He prepared the United States Fleet for the Spanish American War.
Hichborn was trained as a shipwright at the Boston Navy Yard. He took a sea voyage to California via Cape Horn in 1860. He worked for Pacific Mail Steamship Company. He joined the U. S. Navy in 1869 as a naval constructor. In 1884 he was sent to Europe and returned to the United States to report on the dock yards of Europe. He started work with the Bureau of Construction and Repair in 1869, becoming Chief Constructor in 1893.
Hichborn was born in Charlestown, Massachusetts to Philip and Martha (Gould) Hichborn. He married Jennie Mary Franklin on November 29, 1875. They had four children, two of whom, Martha and Philip, survived until adulthood.
- Report on European dock-yards (1886)
- Chronology of the Hichborn family, 1673-1891 (1891)
- Standard designs for boats of the United States Navy. Specifications, schedule of material, weights and cost (1900)
- Standard designs for boats of the U.S. Navy (1900)
- Cruise of the Dashing Wave : rounding Cape Horn in 1860 (written 1800's, published 2009)
- MacFarland, Henry B. F. (1908). District of Columbia: concise biographies of its prominent and representative contemporary citizens. District of Columbia: concise biographies of its prominent and representative contemporary citizens, and valuable statistical data ... Front Cover Henry Brown Floyd Macfarland The Potomac Press. p. 222. https://books.google.com/books?id=vjRMAQAAIAAJ. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- Cutter, W.R. (1908). Genealogical and Personal Memoirs Relating to the Families of Boston and Eastern Massachusetts. Genealogical and Personal Memoirs Relating to the Families of Boston and Eastern Massachusetts. Lewis historical Publishing Company. p. 772. https://books.google.com/books?id=kFoLBC2TwFYC&pg=PA772. Retrieved 2019-03-02.
- "Hichborn, Philip 1839-1910 [WorldCat Identities]". http://worldcat.org/identities/lccn-n2007028674/.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|