|Prince Amedeo of Belgium|
|Hereditary Archduke of Austria-Este (more)|
|Born||21 February 1986 (age 35)|
St-Luc University Hospital, Woluwe-Saint-Lambert, Belgium
|Spouse(s)||Nob. Elisabetta Maria Rosboch von Wolkenstein (m. 2014)|
Prince Amedeo of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este (Amedeo Marie Joseph Carl Pierre Philippe Paola Marcus d'Aviano; born 21 February 1986) is a grandson of King Albert II of Belgium, and thus a member of the Belgian Royal Family. He is also heir to the headship of the House of Austria-Este, a cadet branch of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine, and is sixth in line to the throne of Belgium.
Birth and family
Amedeo was born on 21 February 1986 at the Saint-Luc University Hospital in Woluwe-Saint-Lambert, Belgium, as the first child and elder son of Lorenz, Archduke of Austria-Este, and Princess Astrid of Belgium. He bears the same given name as his paternal great-grandfather, Prince Amedeo, Duke of Aosta. His godparents are his maternal uncle King Philippe and grandmother Queen Paola of Belgium.
Amedeo himself is godfather to his cousin, Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant. Amedeo has one younger brother, Joachim (b. 1991), and three younger sisters: Maria Laura (b. 1988), Luisa Maria (b. 1995) and Laetitia Maria (b. 2003).
He was baptised and married by the Archbishop of Mechelen, Cardinal Danneels.
Education and career
Amedeo undertook primary school and the greater part of his secondary education at the Jesuit school Sint-Jan Berchmanscollege (founded 1604) in Brussels, popular with Belgian aristocracy and royalty. He finished his secondary education at Sevenoaks School in Kent, England, between 2001 and 2004. He then spent a year in Belgium's Royal Military Academy. In September 2005, he began studies at the London School of Economics, where he graduated in 2008 with a BSc degree in Management, and took a sabbatical before entering professional life.
From July 2009 to June 2012, Amedeo worked for Deloitte in New York City, first as a business analyst from July 2009 to June 2011, then as a management consultant in strategy and operations from July 2011 to June 2012. He then worked as a research analyst intern at Accumulus Capital Management, LLC from August through December 2012.
During 2013 and 2014, Amedeo resumed his studies, obtaining an MBA degree at the Columbia Business School of Columbia University. He subsequently returned to Belgium, where he worked for McKinsey & Company in Brussels from September 2014 to September 2016. In January 2017, he began working at the Gutzwiller private bank in Basel, where his father is a partner.
On 15 February 2014, the Belgian Royal Court announced the engagement of Prince Amedeo to an Italian journalist, Nobile Elisabetta "Lili" Maria Rosboch von Wolkenstein.
Amedeo and Elisabetta both descend from Don Giuseppe Tiberio Ruffo di Calabria-Santapau, 2nd Prince of Palazzolo, Count of Sinopoli (1627–1683), while through German princely dynasties their most recent common ancestor is Franz Albrecht I, Prince of Oettingen-Spielberg (1663–1737). The couple's wedding was celebrated on 5 July 2014 in Rome's Basilica Santa Maria in Trastevere, in the presence of the Royal Family of Belgium (with the exception of his great-aunt Queen Fabiola), as well as members of the cadet branches of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine, including the bridegroom's grandmother, Margherita of Savoy, Dowager Archduchess of Austria-Este, and members of other dynasties, including Princess Margaretha of Luxembourg and her husband Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein, Princess Beatrice of York and Jean-Christophe, Prince Napoléon. The couple were planning to relocate in Belgium after the wedding.
In April 2016, it was announced that the couple were expecting their first child, due to be born in May of that year. Their daughter, Anna Astrid, was born on 17 May 2016 at Centre hospitalier universitaire Saint-Pierre in Brussels.
On 19 June 2019 it was revealed that Prince Amadeo and his wife were expecting a second child, to be born in September 2019. On 6 September 2019 their second child, Maximilian, was born at Centre hospitalier universitaire Saint-Pierre in Brussels .
Succession rights to the Belgian throne
In 1991, Amedeo obtained, along with his mother and younger siblings, succession rights to the Belgian throne. In 1993, his maternal grandfather acceded to the throne as King Albert II and he became third in Belgium's line of succession, following his uncle Prince Philippe, Duke of Brabant, and his mother. Upon Philippe's marriage in 1999, the prospect of Amedeo inheriting the throne substantially diminished, and the birth of a daughter and dynastic heir to Philippe in 2001 dropped his place in the order of succession down to fourth and eventually to seventh, following the birth of Philippe's other children. The abdication on 21 July 2013 of his grandfather King Albert II promoted him to sixth in line to the throne. Although an announcement of Amedeo's engagement was published on the Royal Family's website, no dynastic authorisation for his marriage was published prior to his wedding, as foreseen in Article 85 of the Belgian Constitution. Speculation in the media included a commentator on the military parade for La Une who, on 21 July 2014 (Belgian National Day), alleged that no royal authorisation was announced because the prince intentionally chose not to request permission to marry, and therefore Amedeo was no longer deemed in the line of succession. In November 2015, a royal decree expressing King Philippe's retroactive permission for the marriage was gazetted in the Moniteur Belge.
Titles and styles
- 21 February 1986 – 2 December 1991: His Imperial and Royal Highness (HI&RH) Archduke Amedeo of Austria-Este, Prince Royal of Hungary and Bohemia.
- 2 December 1991 – 7 February 1996: HI&RH Prince Amedeo of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este, Prince Royal of Hungary and Bohemia.
- 7 February 1996 – present: HI&RH Prince Amedeo of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este, Prince Royal of Hungary and Bohemia, Prince of Modena.
All the children of Princess Astrid and Archduke Lorenz bear the title of "Prince(ss) of Belgium" by Belgian Royal Decree of 2 December 1991, which is distinct from their traditional Austro-Hungarian titles, i.e. "Archduke/Archduchess of Austria-Este, Prince(ss) Royal of Hungary".
- 2004–2005 Royal Military Academy (Social & Military Sciences)
- September 2005 – September 2007: Belgian Land Component, Warrant-Officer as Candidate-officer (Adjudant Candidat-Officier), after his formation at Royal Military Academy
- September 2007 – : Belgian Land Component, Second lieutenant (as a Reserve officer) of the Regiment Carabiniers Prins Boudewijn – Grenadiers
- "Haus Österreich". Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels: Furstliche Hauser Band XVI. Limburg an der Lahn: C. A. Starke Verlag. 2001. pp. 87, 90–91, 524, 529. ISBN 3-7980-0824-8.
- Regine N. "La rentrée scolaire des petits-enfants du Roi Albert II" 29 August 2008. Retrieved 2 July 2009.
- Prince Amedeo's LinkedIn profile
- "Amedeo, banquier en Suisse". lesoir.be. http://blog.soirmag.lesoir.be/rue-royale/2017/01/06/amedeo-banquier-en-suisse/. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
-  Announcement of the engagement.
- vtm. Royalty. Vriendin prins Amedeo is verre nicht. 20 January 2014. Retrieved 24 March 2015. (Flemish).
- Broadcast "Place Royale", RTL-TVI, Facebook info
- Prins Amedeo en Lili trouwen in de zon
- Villa, Elisabetta. Getty Images. Wedding of Prince Amedeo of Belgium and Elisabetta Maria Rosboch von Wolkenstein. Getty Images Entertainment. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- Twitter Belgian Royal Palace Birth Announcement
- Twitter Belgian Royal Palace Announcement Specifics of Birth
- Announcement of Anna Astrid's name
- "Prins Amedeo maakt opnieuw kans op de Belgische troon". http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/binnenland/1.2505838..
- Due to a royal decree issued by his uncle, King Philippe, limiting the range of family members bearing the title "Prince of Belgium", Amedeo's children do not inherit the princely title nor the style of Royal Highness.
- Prins Amedeo en zijn echtgenote "Lili" verwachten een tweede kind(in Dutch)
- België is een prinsje rijker: zoontje voor prins Amedeo en prinses Elisabetta(in Dutch)
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels: Furstliche Hauser Band XIX. Limburg an der Lahn: C. A. Starke Verlag. 2011. pp. 6–8. ISBN 978-3-7980-0849-6.
- RTBF, La Une, Belgian National Day military parade, 21 July 2014 afternoon
- royal decree of 12 November 2015. Moniteur Belge, second edition, 24 November 2015, p.70312
- Belgian Defense Website, Prince Amedeo's officer swear on 27 September 2007, Photos 1, 2, 3
Prince Amedeo of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este
House of Austria-Este
Cadet branch of the House of Habsburg-LorraineBorn: 21 February 1986
|Lines of succession|
Princess Astrid of Belgium
|Line of succession to the Belgian throne
Archduchess Anna Astrid of Austria-Este
|Line of succession to the defunct Austro-Hungarian throne
Archduke Maximilian of Austria-Este
|First in line||Line of succession to Austria-Este|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|