|IATA: none – ICAO: none|
|Operator||Royal Air Force|
Royal Canadian Air Force
|Elevation AMSL||118 ft / 36 m|
Royal Air Force Station Wombleton or RAF Wombleton is a former Royal Air Force station located 3.8 miles (6.1 km) south west of Helmsley, North Yorkshire and 11.8 miles (19.0 km) north east of Easingwold, North Yorkshire, England.
Station history[edit | edit source]
Wombleton opened in 1943 as a sub-station of RAF Topcliffe. It was part of RAF Bomber Command's No. 6 Group RCAF, and along with the main station at Topcliffe and the station at Dishforth, was designated part of No 61 (Training) Base. In November 1944, No 61 Base was transferred to No 7 (Training) Group and it was renumbered No 76 Training Base. No 1666 Heavy Conversion Unit (HCU) was the first unit to move to Wombleton. Aircrew who were originally trained on twin-engined aircraft such as Wellingtons or Whitleys received conversion training on heavy four-engined bombers such as the Halifax or Lancaster. No 1666 HCU remained at Wombleton until the end of the war. The RAF took over the station and stayed for several years.
Units and aircraft[edit | edit source]
|No 1666 'Mohawk' HCU||21 October 1943||3 August 1945||Handley Page Halifax
|Mks.II, III, V
Mks.I, II, III, X
|No 1679 HCU||13 December 1943||27 January 1944||Avro Lancaster||Mk.II|||
|No. 261 Maintenance Unit RAF||15 November 1945||10 September 1946|||
Current use[edit | edit source]
Wombleton airport is now used for recreational flying.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Citations[edit | edit source]
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Delve, Ken. The Military Airfields of Britain: Northern England: Co. Durham, Cumbria, Isle of Man, Lancashire, Merseyside, Manchester, Northumberland, Tyne & Wear, Yorkshire. Ramsbury, Wiltshire, UK: The Crowood Press, 2006. ISBN 1-86126-809-2
- Delve, Ken. The Source Book of the RAF. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1994. ISBN 1-85310-451-5.
- Sturtivant, Ray, ISO and John Hamlin. RAF Flying Training And Support Units since 1912. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd., 2007. ISBN 0-85130-365-X.
- Halpenny, Bruce Barrymore. Action Stations: 4: Military airfields of Yorkshire. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens, 1982. ISBN 0-85059-532-0
[edit | edit source]
- Airfields in Yorkshire - Wombleton
- Control towers - RAF Wombleton airfield
- Wombleton RCAF Memorial
- Former RAF Wombleton on Wikimapia
- Wombleton on Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|