Belgica is 51.12 metres (167 ft 9 in) long, with a beam of 10.00 metres (32 ft 10 in) and a draught of 4.60 metres (15 ft 1 in). Assessed at 765 , 232 NT, she has a displacement of 1,200 tons. The ship is propelled by a 1,570 horsepower (1,170 kW) ABC 6M DZC1000-150 diesel engine, driving a kort nozzle ducted propeller. She has a 150 kilowatts (200 hp) bow and stern thruster and a 82 kilowatts (110 hp) electric motor.
Belgica has an endurance of 20,000 nautical miles (37,000 km; 23,000 mi) at 12 knots (22 km/h; 14 mph). Her maximum speed is 13.5 knots (25.0 km/h; 15.5 mph). She is fitted with a Kongsberg EM 1002 and EM 3002 sonar and an acoustic doppler current profiler. There are five laboratories on board. Power is provided by two diesel powered generators of 275 kilowatts (369 hp) each.
Belgica was built by Boelwerf, Temse. She was launched on 6 January 1984 and commissioned on 5 July 1984. Her homeport is Zeebrugge. She is allocated the IMO Number 8222563, MMSI Number 205218000 and Pennant number A962. Belgica uses the callsign ORGQ.
Belgica is operated by the Management Unit of North Sea Mathematical Models (MUMM) and crewed by the Belgian Naval Component. Her homeport is Zeebrugge.
In 2013 mechanical problems caused the aging vessel to be taken out of service for four weeks, which prompted the Belgian government to plan its replacement by 2017.
- "A962 Belgica - Oceanografisch Onderzoekingsschip" (in Dutch). Belgian Military. http://www.mil.be/navycomp/units/index.asp?LAN=nl&FILE=unittext&ID=669&MENU=174&PAGE=1. Retrieved 5 October 2010.
- "Welcome on board". Management Unit of North Sea Mathematical Models. http://www.mumm.ac.be/EN/Monitoring/Belgica/tour.php. Retrieved 5 October 2010.
- "Belgium". World Warships. http://www.worldwarships.com/warships_belgium.htm. Retrieved 5 October 2010.
- "BNS BELGICA". Marine Traffic. http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=205218000. Retrieved 5 October 2010.
- "An oceanographic research ship and service provider". Management Unit of North Sea Mathematical Models. http://www.mumm.ac.be/EN/Monitoring/Belgica/index.php. Retrieved 5 October 2010.
- jvt (27 October 2013). "Onderzoeksschip Belgica wordt binnen vier jaar vervangen" (in Dutch). De Standaard. http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20131027_00810981. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to RV A962 Belgica.|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|